Realistic expectations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks scoobydrew! We're actually thinking of going off to Utila and get our certs there, then he'll do the teach/dive and I'll do the dive/other or just dive... I also speak 4 languages so it can come in handy in the more lucrative resorts as I'm told...

Thats funny, my plan was to go to Utila in the beginning as well. I was actually put off Utila as an eventual potential work destination by Andy from Utila Dive Centre who I met once at a dive show. After telling him my plan of heading out with my girlfriend to do my IDC and work as a diver while she taught English his response was that he'd love to take me money but living on Utila would not be the right place for us due to lack of work for my girlfriend. I thought that was really good of him as his honest advice saved me from making a bad fist choice, his option would have been to have taken the money regardless.

If you are just planning on doing your IDC there then moving on then drop UDC a line. Further to that I have a couple of articles on my blog which may be of interest to you as they are give advice to new and aspiring instructors, take a look & feel free to follow. Good luck

You know....this thread pops up every so often and the responses are usually similar, and I've never really chimed in even though I have a wee bit of a different opinion. So just this once I'll throw in my .02psi.

I agree with pretty much all that was said here, with the exception of a few places in the Caribbean, most notably here in Curacao where I live. You can make a living being a scuba instructor. I know literally dozens of people that do it. I'm not talking about people living out of back packs and combing beach sand. I'm talking about people that own cars, and houses and heck some even have kids in private schools! Do they live high on the hog? Heck no, but they live a what would be in the US a lower middle class lifestyle.

Here's the thing, the scuba industry down here, is an actual industry. There are a few operators that have multiple locations that do a few million a year in sales. Those kinds of places need, and can afford a little more upper class instructor. Sure the rubber meets the road with the young DM who is taking a break before finishing university and needs enough money for bus fair, a studio apartment and a decent sized beer budget, an even bigger beer budget if he can live at home...

Sure it helps if you can speak multiple languages, have sales skills, fix a compressor or drive a boat, but more importantly are you willing to learn those skills. Are you the type of employee that will study Rosetta Stone on your lunchbreak, come in on your day off and learn how to swap out a third stage head, and pony up on some Sudafed for an unscheduled night dive (your 5th dive of the day) because someone called in sick. There are orginizations all over where if you are this type of employee you will find yourself moving up the ranks. People always talk about the owners of boats and dive shops making the big bucks. Well a lot of them came from doing just this. You move from DM to OWSI, you get sales bonuses, you pick up extra shifts, then you learn to drive a boat and get a bonus for that...next thing you know the dive shop is opening up a new location and that location needs a manager...boom there you go.

Now, here is the caveat. We all like to think we are that person, but let's face it, most of us aren't...I know I'm not! We're talking about the kind of employee that starts as a bank teller and 4 years later they are a branch manager, they start as a bagger at a grocery and wind up running the store in the next town over. They start as a waitress at Applebees and down the road they are doing regional sales training. You can do that in the dive industry as well, in the right place, under the right circumstances, and with a wee bit of luck added to your perseverance. Although here is the trick, if you are that person, the world has a lot more opportunities where the risk vs reward is so much greater than a ho hum existence as a dive instructor. It has to be a labor of love, because for all that hard work can you make a living...sure I see it every day, but is it the best living you make?

Last edited:
So I bought that Simon Pridmore book last night from Amazon. I'm about half way through it. You know when you're just sitting there nodding your head thinking "huh, yeah, I've seen people do that before!"? There was a lot of that going on.

By the sounds of it, I've got the mindset for the teaching side of things, which he seems to suggest is what puts a lot of people off. I have to teach in my existing job anyway. My main concern is more not being able to make a living from it. It's a significant expense if there's not many long-term job opportunities at the end of it - there's a reason I studied science and not humanities.

Will keep reading, but it's kind of like in one chapter I think it's a great idea to go pro, the next 2-3 chapters not so much.

So I bought that Simon Pridmore book last night from Amazon. I'm about half way through it. You know when you're just sit job anyway.

Will keep reading, but it's kind of like in one chapter I think it's a great

Wow! You ordered and got it on the same day?! Or was it the kindle version?

I mustn't have looked hard enough! I though I didn't see a kindle version :wink: hehe it's my weekend reading for sure now!! Thanks!

So I bought that Simon Pridmore book last night from Amazon. I'm about half way through it. You know when you're just sitting there nodding your head thinking "huh, yeah, I've seen people do that before!"? There was a lot of that going on.

By the sounds of it, I've got the mindset for the teaching side of things, which he seems to suggest is what puts a lot of people off. I have to teach in my existing job anyway. My main concern is more not being able to make a living from it. It's a significant expense if there's not many long-term job opportunities at the end of it - there's a reason I studied science and not humanities.

Will keep reading, but it's kind of like in one chapter I think it's a great idea to go pro, the next 2-3 chapters not so much.

I think if you really want to make a living from it then you need to know people.

I know one career instructor. In order to get a job he started a dive shop. The shop runs pretty much on break-even but the travel agency they started out of the shop makes a decent profit. His solution wasn't to go where the work was, it was to take the work where he wanted to go.

He's recently left to Thailand where he will be setting up a shop there too. I think he also set one up in Indonesia a couple of years ago that someone else runs. These shops don't turn much revenue on their own but it gives the travel agency a place to go where they can dive for free while customers pay for a diving-package. That's part of the business model.

That's the only person I know outside of well known technical instructors or course directors who have been able to turn a passion for diving into anything resembling a career. The rest of us would literally make more money working at McDonalds.

R..

I finished the book.

I think it really just confirmed a few things that were already in the back of my mind to be honest.

I could deal with the teaching side of things easily enough, I enjoy it in my current job.

It's just that I don't know I'd last long if I refused to bend to pressure from owners regarding turning a blind eye to things that shouldn't be ignored. One of the incidents the author mentions about Nusa Penida (I've been there a few times myself, and have seen similar things happen), I recall all the detailed conversation about it within the pages of the SB forum, and for whatever reason, even he seems to not mention some of the other mitigating factors in the incident.

I really think that whole chapter on the industry destroying itself from within is what's sticking in my mind. I've seen enough of these things with my own eyes in the past (and not really given it much of a spare thought until now) to kind of appreciate that they're not the isolated incidents I'd perhaps naively thought they were.

Such is life. I'll save my money and just go on more holidays :)

I have a pretty good job at the moment as a professor in something science related. However I've pretty much had it with academia and want to go do something else.
Be sure what you change to really avoids the issue that makes you want to leave.

My dad's retirement job was calibrating breathalyzers for the state of Illinois, which also required him to certify lots of cops on their understanding of how to use them. One day he was talking to a state police officer who mentioned he was a university professor before he got tired of sitting in his office doing the ever increasing paperwork and quit to become a cop. Now he spent much of every day sitting in his police car doing paperwork...

Ok kids I'm going to throw 2BAR into this conversation, I just came back from Egypt, got there in 2012 and worked there for three years. I lived in a beautiful compound (by American standards, not the s**tholes apartments that Europeans are accustomed to) in Sharm El Sheikh, drove a brand new car, a 2015 Kia Rio, and before you knock it after duties and registration I could buy an entry level BMW here in the US for what I paid for that Kia, and had lots of spending money left over to do a Tec Instructor and Sidemount courses (both Tec and recreational) with one of the most respected Tec shops in the world. This was AFTER both revolutions! In fact the only reason we came back to the US was because we are in our mid-40's and decided that while we were doing quite well it was not enough for our long-term goals. To the OP, follow your dreams and don't let these naysayers talk you out of them.

The reality of it though is that you have to be willing to work your ass off, my wife and I averaged about 1000 dives per year (that's each of us not combined) and the off-season can bankrupt a person if they don't plan accordingly. The best advice I can give you is find a good Course Director in the United States. As an IDC Staff Instructor I can tell you that the course you take in the US is WAY DIFFERENT then one taken abroad. The US class teaches you the business of diving vs just teaching you how to teach. It will be harder to find a job overseas coming as an instructor (most shops only hire people who do IDC's with them or with a center that they use for instructor candidates) but if you can sell classes you create your own jobs, you'll do just fine. I was a "freelance instructor" and my main center was actually afraid to give me a day off because I would then take a class at another center which I converted into two weeks of work. This in a country that had almost no tourism what so ever, I'd would have been living high on the hog in a place like Mexico or Thailand.

The moral of the story is that you need to create work for yourself otherwise you'll be sitting at home waiting for the phone to ring. Did I go 6 to 7 weeks without a day off sometimes? Yes, but when your job is to "be on vacation", I actually dreaded my days off. :D

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention we only spoke English. Languages help but drive and a great work ethic will go much further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom