REAL facts about 6351 cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw a car that hit a tree and broke in half, the driver and passengers bodies were ripped into pieces. Nothing to freak out over. I still drive my car every day.

Leadking, I know you weren't, I was referring to another post.

This seems strange to me, but to get a copy of this report I have to put in an application via the freedom of information act. It isn't too arduous to apply, but as it has to be done by snail mail, it will take a little time.

Superstar, yes life will kill you. There are lots of lotteries that we all enter every day, driving, the work place, our homes, diving, etc. Some we need to enter, some we want to enter, some we see no point to & have no interest in entering.

I'm all for the individuals right to enter/not enter, any lottery they like.

People can tell me that 6351 ali tanks are engineered so they cant explode, or that there has never been catastrophic failure of one since current eddy testing was introduced. The reality however, seems to be somewhat different.

The fact is that there have in fact been zero catastrophic failures of 6351-T6 scuba tanks due to sustained load cracks since the implementation of eddy current/visual plus inspections over 11 years ago. That is zero - as in "0", "Zilch", "Zip", Nada" - since prior to the year 2000.

I know this is an old thread but I just was given a really old tank and was trying to separate fact from hysteria and ran across this thread in my search. The Luxfer website (Frequently asked questions - Luxfer: Setting The Standard Worldwide[]=P%3ASCU) does list two failures since 2000 due to SLC. I don't know the individual facts in the case so maybe they were not properly inspected or damaged or other extenuating circumstances but I just wanted to add this information in case anyone else is trying to make a decision on these tanks.

Cheers!
Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom