Real estate recommendation for diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
I've always had a difficult time mixing business with pleasure. Something usually gets compromised.

Vacations and real estate investments are not easy for me to mix. My emotion for a vacation spot can cloud my judgment on the real estate investment. Can you accept breaking even or do you want to maximize your return on investment ?

Ronrosa - good question. I'm not looking to make $$ on whatever I buy - rather I want to find a place that I'll come back to over and over again. If it appreciates in value that's great, but I'll expect it to simply be a 2nd home for me to spend a lot of time in, no matter whether it appreciates in value or not.

And remember that in places where property taxes are tied to property value, there is no advantage whatsoever to rising real estate values if the primary purpose of the condo/villa/home is simply as a place to live.

EC..I used to own on St Croix & sold my 2 bedroom oceanfront condo back in the 80's primarily because of the crime problems that existed then...
I spent 15 years traveling the Caribbean & have chosen Bonaire for my next property for a variety of reasons...1. Safety/low crime..2. Stable Gov...3.Excellent diving..4. reasonable property prices..5. No hurricanes
If you've never lived on a Carib Island, though you ought to spend a couple of months renting..Also read "Don't Stop the Carnival".. It reminded me an awful lot of St Croix!

Well, if nothing else, this thread has sold another copy of "Don't Stop the Carnival". My wife and I are currently in the "thinking" stage of purchasing property in Bonaire and have a dive/real estate looking trip planned there in 2007.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom