Ready to dive in shark infested waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://vimeo.com/46690391

First shark vid is on the Spar on Friday. Second, more dark video is inside the Papoose on Saturday.

Good luck! Been diving the Outer Banks on vacation for the last two years now in hopes of seeing sharks and have yet to see any! My fearsome reputation must precede me.

The Indra is not crawling with sharks. Inshore wrecks you'll be lucky to see any. You need to get offshore to see them. Check out the Spar, Papoose, Carribsea, Atlas, or other of the wrecks further out.

Well, I can still hope. ;-) Other wrecks are certainly in our future. We'll probably get one more coastal trip in this year, after this. I've seen the impressive videos of the Papoose. Since it's at 90-120 fsw, I'd like to improve my skills and SAC rate a bit before going there.

We're starting with the Indra because it's a very easy dive. The first four videos on this thread are all from the Indra. I'd be thrilled with one shark. Worst case, it's a cool wreck with lots of tropical fish. We'll also be looking for toadfish, eels, and octopuses. The seafloor there is only at about 60fsw, so we should get plenty of bottom time.

On the other hand, the NC Aquarium is, in fact, crawling with sharks. So we're guaranteed to swim with sharks there. :D

I'm somewhat afraid of sharks (as all sane people should be). But I also find them absolutely fascinating. Kind of like watching wild bears in Yellowstone, or camping with bison in the Badlands.

Have fun. I go every year. It's a great dive location. We did 6 dives over 3 days last weekend. 4 of them had sharks. The others I'm sure they were there, but I was playing with all the macro life on the wrecks.

We'll also be looking for toadfish, eels, and octopuses.

Shine a light in tubes and holes and you are likely to see a moray or a conger eel. There are usually toadfish around. Lionfish are popping up more and more. Saw a huge octupus a couple of weeks ago on the U-85 hiding behind some rocks in a corner. So much stuff, so little time.

I'm somewhat afraid of sharks (as all sane people should be). But I also find them absolutely fascinating. Kind of like watching wild bears in Yellowstone, or camping with bison in the Badlands.
Im not afraid of them, but I do have some respect for them.. But I never claimed to be sane though

congrats.

Enjoy your dives

I dove the Hyde out of Wilmington last month, and there were about a half dozen sand tiger sharks on it. Very cool. And to your point about Nitrox, I was the only diver on the boat breathing air, so I did my Nitrox cert a couple weeks later. I hope I can back to the coast at least once more this year.

Have a memorable dive ...

I wish my local waters were more shark-infested. Out here when someone sees a shark it's news ... and all the other divers go out hoping for a view. I went searching for one just the other night. Found him after about a half-hour of looking ... well, more like he found me. We played together for about 10 minutes. Cute little bugger ... he even smiled for the camera ...

IMG_4131.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom