Ready to dive in shark infested waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just thought I'd share, since I'm all excited. DH and I are going to dive the Indra, off of the NC coast, this weekend. We're so excited! This will be our first dive off of the NC coast, our first real wreck dive, and our first dive with sharks! We're about 20 dives in, and I think we're just barely ready for the Graveyard of the Atlantic. This charter is also one that's specifically geared to newer divers. Wish us luck (and calm weather)!

We're also going to dive in the NC Aquarium at Roanoke that weekend. It's pricey, but I couldn't resist the opportunity to dive with their sharks while waving at our kids on the other side of the glass!

In other news, we signed up for the Nitrox class too. It's very common for people to dive Nitrox on the coast. I think it's because it takes a while to get to most of the wrecks, so you might as well do 2, 3, or 4 dives while you're out there.

Good luck and great weather to you!!! :blessing: Oh...and give the kids a wave for me too...:D

Last edited:
Shark infested waters are cool :D
Best of luck with the weather AND the sharks

Aren't all ocean waters 'shark infested' or is this your first ocean dive?

Aren't all ocean waters 'shark infested' or is this your first ocean dive?

While she is being a litte dramatic I am sure, the waters around NC have a large population of sand tiger sharks that for unknown reasons do not leave the wreck when divers decend like most sharks do. Rather, it is very common to have 1 or more 6 to 12 ft sharks join your buddy team and "school" with you at just a few feet away. I can tell you, the first time it happens you will think the waters are infested.

Oh-Thanks Herman. Sounds like a great place to dive. Here on the gulf coast it is not an 'every dive' situation with sharks. In fact, I usually miss them when everyone comes up talking about having seen one. This past weekend I was very lucky to have seen a shark..and a lionfish I am afraid.

Here is one of our videos from a dive last year. They are kind of like underwater cows.

[video=youtube;26tOB_G4aYU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26tOB_G4aYU&feature=g-user-u[/video]

The Indra is not crawling with sharks. Inshore wrecks you'll be lucky to see any. You need to get offshore to see them. Check out the Spar, Papoose, Carribsea, Atlas, or other of the wrecks further out.

All you shark guys are nuts, but everyone knows my take on that.

Back
Top Bottom