Ready to buy...but what? Regulator or BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimbody

Caribbean Connoisseur
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After renting a ton of BCD's and Regulators for me and my wife over the years, I am now considering purchasing some good equipment. I found an Atomic X2z package without octopus and a wrist comp for $599. Double that and I'm out nearly $1200. I'm not a professional diver but I love the sport so much and see us enjoying it for the next 40 years until our passing. Should a BCD be our first choice? I wouldn't think so since I'm never uncomfortable in any sort of BC. Sure, some have been more cumbersome than others but once in the water I stop fussing and just enjoy the view. It seems a regulator would be the wise first choice. Any thoughts? Any deals? I'd love your insight.

Graham

my order of preference (major components):

1. exposure protection
2. dive computer*
3. regs
4. bc

* - if not diving heavily, tables can suffice, but it may impart limitations

I have wetsuits but no computer. The deal I quoted takes care of number 2&3

I also suggest getting a computer first. It can take some time and reading the manual to learn everything you can get from one, and having your own will give you a more realistic multi-level NDL than using straight tables.

Regs would be my second goal, because they are your primary life support and I have seen some really ratty rental regs handed out in many dive spots I have been to. Of course, this means you are responsible for the maintenance, but you will know they HAVE been maintained.

I have been to Katy Tx, A buddy of mine got married down there a couple years ago. Looked like a nice community!

I have wetsuits but no computer. The deal I quoted takes care of number 2&3

Given this I would say go for the regs and computers. You can keep getting by with rental BCs. Personally I hate using gear that goes in my mouth knowing that lots and lots of other people have had in their mouths. I'm also a big fan of Atomic regs. I'm curious what computer you're looking at.

Ditto, Ditto and Ditto. Regs and computer should be next on your list. As already quoted, things others have had in their mouth that go into my mouth are a big turn off. You have to put a lot of trust that the reg was cleaned sufficiently by the shop before they gave it to you. Just creepy!!!!

Which brand computers are you looking at? Which Regs? I have Zeagle and Apeks and love them. I also have HOG, but have not had a chance to try them out yet. As long as you go with a good brand you really can't go to wrong with regs. Also keep in mind the type of diving you plan to do when buying either of these components. If you plan to stay rec take that into consideration also. B.

A Cressi reg set (same one I have been using and happy with for a lot of years) can be had for about $150. Cressi XS2/AC2 Piston Regulator at LeisurePro - The service manuals are on line and they are very rugged. I've used them in 42°F water and 130 feet deep and they breathed easy - no difference from near the surface.

You can get a very good, rugged, long life BC for under $200.
Cressi - Cressi Start BCD at LeisurePro
Sherwood - Sherwood Silhouette BCD at LeisurePro and
Tusa - Tusa Charter BCD, Black (BCJ-2100) at LeisurePro

I've got the Tusa. They are all basically the same but the slanted pockets on the Tusa makes it easier for me to get things in and out while wearing it.

These suggestions are very basic level equipment. That said, I've found that there is very little performance difference (for me) and rather huge price differences between the basic and the exotic. I personally buy less expensive equipment that performs and use the saved money to dive where it's warm. I simply don't buy into the hype. There might be some truth there when you get to high tech level diving - recreational diving, not so much.

Think about the stuff you DON"T want to rent.

Wetsuit--I am the reason you don't rent wetsuits
Regs--Life support and you know it's history. Usually goes hand in hand with computer but not always
Computer--Easily rentable although to use one to it's full capacity needs a lot of time and use.
BC--Just a big vest that holds air. Not a big deal but once you own your own you will appreciate the familiarity.

When I was starting out I used ebay a lot. Can almost always get what you want if you are patient. Good used gear that someone hated and lots of NOS from dive shops end up on there. Can be a bargain if you are careful. If you buy regs just have them serviced. Most of the things that cause an "Oh $hit" moment are replaced during a service anyway.

Found a brand new dive computer yesterday afternoon. SUBGEAR XC10. Great price from a store that gives members here a discount. Looking at regs next. I like the inexpensive Cressi one as I like Cressi gear and it's really held up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom