Ready Light does not mean fully ready (apparently)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know that there are any industry standards. I think it comes down to "specmanship" meaning if I put out a spec that says recycle time is 1 second (but that is to 80%) then everyone else will have to do the same thing as the Retra guy points out. That being said, 80% of full power at a GN of 32 is 25.6 so at 1 meter (GN=fstop x distance) and a factor of 3 or so for underwater means a change from f10 to f8.5 less than 1/2 of a stop.

Bill

Fair enough Bill, but my understanding of what the Retra guy said is that the industry is awash with different numbers, some 80% others less - which corresponds with the tests made with the thread starter. And he expands the discussion to GN ratings!

"...although in reality it is (80%) and with some flashguns it's even much lower like Jerry pointed out.
A similar problem is also with GN which we don't publish any more because there is no sense trying to compete with inflated specifications provided by some manufactures."

Furthermore I suspect that regardless of calculations that minimize the effect of 80%,70% or 60% charge to an adjusted underwater stop reduction, these are measurements trumpeted by manufacturers and repeated ad nauseam in publications for manufacturers to position their equipment as the winner in more categories when compared to the competition., if I may cross forum quote...

I feel that if a manufacturers stated specification is not to 100% recovery then the manufacturer should at least make a charge/power curve to time graph available for review - otherwise it is plainly false advertising. Even if all manufacturer agreed on a 'practical recharge percentage' - which it has been said that they don't - I would imagine that the last 20% (or whatever) might fluctuate widely with different capacitor arrays and battery packs.

Frankly, these are very pricey items that, if they represent measurements, they should be held to a standard - before they are forced to a higher standard via legal actions, by class action suits that have plagued other industries.

I like the idea of a charging time graph, but sadly I suspect that the vast majority of users will have no idea how to read one or how to interpret one. For me, I hardly ever use my strobes at more than half power so this is typically not a big issue.

Bill

Variation in how strobes are rated is nothing compared with how dive lights are rated......compare the discharge times and lumen values for Big Blue and SOLA, for example. Caveat Emptor. Independent testing (as you can find for dive lights) is the only really useful tool; getting manufacturers to hold to some specs is problematic.

No doubt about it - and I am sure the manufacturers have reasoned (rationalizations) for all the measurement claims. Caveat Emptor is an easy response, and while true enough, it doesn't save companies when they go too far or the public senses mis-direction; Take Volkswagen for example - a tragic example of buyer beware - for the buyer, the company and the planet. Legislation does serve a purpose - sometimes.

Blame Nikon! Well maybe some technical marketing weenies from the Nikonos group?

The Nikonos SB 105 instruction manual clearly states (on page 36):

"The ready-light lights up when about 80% of the Speedlight's power is recycled. Wait a few seconds more until power is fully recycled when shooting a relatively distant subject."

So when did this subterfuge all start? I have no idea. When was the SB 105 released? Did this apply to earlier Nikonos strobes?

Blame Nikon! Well maybe some technical marketing weenies from the Nikonos group?

The Nikonos SB 105 instruction manual clearly states (on page 36):

"The ready-light lights up when about 80% of the Speedlight's power is recycled. Wait a few seconds more until power is fully recycled when shooting a relatively distant subject."

So when did this subterfuge all start? I have no idea. When was the SB 105 released? Did this apply to earlier Nikonos strobes?

I started diving 32 years ago and the SB105 wasn't new back then. It was probably developed back when divers started noticing that acetylene gas left a smoky film on the inside of the front glass, and big flashbulbs started getting harder to find.
Actually Wikipedia states that the SB105 was introduced along with the Nikonos RS Camera back in 1992 and they may be right.

Michael

I would not want to wait until a strobe is fully loaded to fire. Also larger strobes will take longer to charge with similar current
I never look at this specification when deciding which strobe to get as am expecting them all to be the same at similar power anyway
Far more important is how many shots I can take how wide is the beam and the peak power

I think if you look at charging circuits and times, the time to 78% is x and the time to full is 2x. 1 second recycle time sounds lots better than 2 seconds
Bill

Back
Top Bottom