Reading recommendations for someone prior to discover dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If possible have them get the mask/snorkle/fins and figure out wetsuit rental size ahead of time. Then practice swimming in a public pool or wherever with the mask and fins (yeah snorkels suck but maybe that too). This way only the scuba gear will be new, not the mask/fins thing which can be surprisingly troublesome for newbies, especially the mask. Oh, and booties. Everyone needs their own booties. You know why.

When you are prepping for the dive, ask the instructor what the dive plan is. The discovery dive should be relatively shallow. When I did mine, we ended up going to 58 feet, which, in retrospect, I think was high risk because I had no training.

When you are prepping for the dive, ask the instructor what the dive plan is. The discovery dive should be relatively shallow. When I did mine, we ended up going to 58 feet, which, in retrospect, I think was high risk because I had no training.
It certainly was high risk - if the instructor was affiliated with any WRSTC body, they were breaching standards by a considerable way as 40 feet is the maximum depth allowed!

I too would not over think it. In fact it might even make things a bit confusing. What you do in a DSD and what your responsibilities are will differ from those of a certified diver. As long as you have a good instructor and listen to and follow instructions you will have all the prep you need and won’t be worried about things that are not relevant to what you are actually doing. Have you looked at the PADI website and checked out what’s involved.

Scuba Fundamental by Simon Pridmore would be a book you will get a lot of value from and also Scuba Confidential but if you are totally knew to the idea of diving and perhaps not too comfortable with water Scuba Fundamental would be my recommendation

I agree with those who say don't overthink it. This sport can get overwhelming fast. Just take it one step at a time and everything starts to fall in place.

Step one for you is to check it out and see how you like it. For me, I was hooked the first time I tried it. It just took awhile to have the resources and time to start diving on a regular basis (which is still vacation diving, but two or three times a year, when I'm lucky.)

For you, I'd checkout photos and videos of the beautiful world under the sea, instead of reading about all the technical stuff. That's my motivation....ocean life is incredible!

There are good videos for basic scuba skills, like @MichaelMc mentioned.

Have fun and enjoy! Come back to this board and let us know how things go. :)

Scuba Fundamental by Simon Pridmore would be a book you will get a lot of value from and also Scuba Confidential but if you are totally knew to the idea of diving and perhaps not too comfortable with water Scuba Fundamental would be my recommendation
On the flip side, if you are very comfortable in water already (especially if you've done some snorkeling), you may consider just taking the full OW course. You'll learn all you need to know to start diving, other than some important "rescue" techniques. DSD can be very good for some and a waste of time for others.

It certainly was high risk - if the instructor was affiliated with any WRSTC body, they were breaching standards by a considerable way as 40 feet is the maximum depth allowed!

Does that mean the instructor with 5 DSD's I saw hanging off a broom handle at 30m on the Zenobia was breaking standards...... I dunno, yet another example of health and safety gone mad!!! :banghead:

I found an old OW manual (probably on eBay) that I bought and read prior to my first Discover SCUBA dive, and I found the information in the first few chapters both interesting enough to motivate me to take the next step, and also very helpful preparation. I now have a friend in a similar situation, but I've tossed that old OW manual. With all the resources of the inter-webs, are there any suggestions for reading prior to the Discovery dive?

It sounds to me like you are way ahead of the game. Since you have read the OW manual then you should know all the basics. Next you just need to get used to using the equipment and practicing basic skills which I'm pretty sure they have you do before they take you in the ocean (clearing your mask, removing and replacing the regulator, etc).

Back
Top Bottom