Reading recommendations for someone prior to discover dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I found an old OW manual (probably on eBay) that I bought and read prior to my first Discover SCUBA dive, and I found the information in the first few chapters both interesting enough to motivate me to take the next step, and also very helpful preparation. I now have a friend in a similar situation, but I've tossed that old OW manual. With all the resources of the inter-webs, are there any suggestions for reading prior to the Discovery dive?

Nor any of the DSD threads in A&I...

You Tuba watch “The Silent World” and the book is great too. I’m reading it now and I thought it might be too old-fashioned but actually it’s jaw-droppingly amazing, harrowing and adventurous!

59EE41C9-502A-4C42-A69D-98AD16BC52B7.jpeg

YouTube also has lots of basic scuba instruction

I found an old OW manual (probably on eBay) that I bought and read prior to my first Discover SCUBA dive, and I found the information in the first few chapters both interesting enough to motivate me to take the next step, and also very helpful preparation. I now have a friend in a similar situation, but I've tossed that old OW manual. With all the resources of the inter-webs, are there any suggestions for reading prior to the Discovery dive?
I would just relax and enjoy it :)

I'd put it as BlueTrin put it: Don't over think it. Do it.

I have no reading to suggest, but this is a nice beginning diver buoyancy video from GUE. It might help get them pointed in the right direction, not on GUE, but on buoyancy.

From what I recall there aren't a lot of skills to be learned to do a DSD. Just the basics. Even an old OW manual (if you come across another one) probably would be enough info.--I think most people just do the DSD with no preparation.
I would advise to try to check out the dive operation/shop that you'll do it with. See that they meet at least the minimum ratios of instructors to students. I've heard of many stories where these were not met.

Back
Top Bottom