Reading Diver Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jennasnyder1980:
After reading more from SCUBAboard and the book, I realized that the risk is far more serious and am trying to find a diving doctor.

Do you recommend how to find one? Is there a directory of dive doctors out there? Does that mean I can't dive with asthma????Jennifer

A while back I needed to see an ENT doc after a nasty ear infection following a Bonaire trip. DAN's list of Ear, Nose & Throat docs didn't include anyone near me so I 'let my fingers do the walking'. I called around to all the ENT docs in the phone book and asked each receptionist: "Is Dr. ___ an active SCUBA diver?" The SCUBA diving ENT I found treated my ears and took the time to explain in great detail about how to avoid diving-related ear barotrauma, infections etc.

I haven't read Diver Down yet, but I do read SCUBA Diving Magazine's "Lessons for Life". I agree with other SB members: its always better to learn from someone else's mistakes. In addition to helping you to be a better, more safety-conscious diver; accident analysis will also help you be a better dive buddy. I would much rather dive with a buddy who is a safer, more aware buddy because of his or her arm-chair accident analysis.

I haven't read Diver Down yet either, but while I have been an avid reader of "Lessons for Life," I fear the latest edition has so ruined the column's credibility for me that I don't know that I would ever take any value from it again. I would now say that I have to call any incident written up in LfL suspect of fabrication for dive industry rhetoric. I am now left asking, "where is a copy of the accident report or police report?" A real shame for a column which I once considered an absolute gem. :(

Wasn't the latest "Lesson for Life" based on two divers drowning with full tanks near Ft. Lauderdale? That was reported here as well as TDS.

TheRedHead:
Wasn't the latest "Lesson for Life" based on two divers drowning with full tanks near Ft. Lauderdale? That was reported here as well as TDS.

Haven't seen that one yet. Probably haven't got the mag yet. Last one I saw was the one where the guy's reg allegedly blew up because he bought it on the internet instead of from an LDS. :shakehead

I haven't read Diver Down yet either, but while I have been an avid reader of "Lessons for Life," I fear the latest edition has so ruined the column's credibility for me that I don't know that I would ever take any value from it again. I would now say that I have to call any incident written up in LfL suspect of fabrication for dive industry rhetoric. I am now left asking, "where is a copy of the accident report or police report?" A real shame for a column which I once considered an absolute gem.

I too read the particular issue you are refering too and I agree that it was REALLY bad. However, I would advise you not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. The book contains no such blatant biases and is an excellent learning tool that has the potential to save lives. Also, the regular column is generally right on and again has the potential to save lives. I would rather advise you to send a letter to SCUBA Diving Magazine calling them on their blatant bias in hopes that they straighten out their act. Despite their blatant bias, I still give this book a 10 out of 10 for all divers.

I just finished Diver Down. I must admit, some of the pre-ambles can be a bit gripping, but reading about some of these incidents was beneficial as there are lessons to be learned from all the accident accounts.

It did not scare me as much as it got me thinking about what can go wrong. What I DO like about it is that is doesn't hide behind the PC crap of blaming the gear, or the weather, or angels flying out of ones backside....when appropriate it lays the blame squarely on the diver...i.e diver error.

This is why it did not scare me out of my wetsuit as all of the incidents were caused dever error. I appreciated the opprotunity to learn from these errors, and hope never to be caught by one of them.

Overall a good read and IMHO, a must read for newly certifed divers....like me

Storm:
This is why it did not scare me out of my wetsuit as all of the incidents were caused dever error. I appreciated the opprotunity to learn from these errors, and hope never to be caught by one of them.

this got me to thinking... these columns were taken from ScubaDiving Magazine,
known for its pro-advertiser and pro-industry stance.

so... what do you think the odds are of them printing *a single* incident that
had to do with equipment failure or computer problems, or something *other*
than diver error?

i mean, are we seeing a true picture of what happens out there, or are the results
being biased by not including instances of equipment failure, or bad air, or bad
DM-ing, or crews leaving people behind, etc...?

gangrel441:
Haven't seen that one yet. Probably haven't got the mag yet. Last one I saw was the one where the guy's reg allegedly blew up because he bought it on the internet instead of from an LDS. :shakehead

The lastest also had a gear slant because one of the divers had a hole in his BC and one of the lessons was to buy new equipment from the LDS.

oh, hey, at least equipment fails now in their universe

used to be that was an unspoken heresy

H2Andy:
this got me to thinking... these columns were taken from ScubaDiving Magazine,
known for its pro-advertiser and pro-industry stance.

so... what do you think the odds are of them printing *a single* incident that
had to do with equipment failure or computer problems, or something *other*
than diver error?

I mean, are we seeing a true picture of what happens out there, or are the results
being biased by not including instances of equipment failure, or bad air, or bad
DM-ing, or crews leaving people behind, etc...?

Some the scenarios including equipment failure, and a few revolved around dive professionals and bad judgement, but thre I sort of incuded unfer the dvier error catch all.

Even if the book does lean away from faulty gear incidents, the intent appears to be to try and show how bad judgement calls have lead to accidents. It's not a first reponse type of quide and does not go into immedeate actions detail, but rather empahizes recognition of some of the pitfalls that poor diving judgement can lead to.

In that context it achieves its goal....IMHO

TheRedHead:
The lastest also had a gear slant because one of the divers had a hole in his BC and one of the lessons was to buy new equipment from the LDS.

There''s alos the one where the diver attempts to fix his own BCD dump valve, and ends up at Davey Jones locker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom