Read this BEFORE you go to CAYMAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the tip. That message board was full of trip reports and pictures, really great information and a whole lot of nice people. I just wanted to say thanks for the tip and give it a bump. Before you go to the Caymans, be sure to give this place a look see: www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums

That really is a great place with the most friendly people I have ever seen. Totally dedicated to Cayman with some great ideas to save money and see the very best. Thanks for the tip!

pilot fish:
Anyone know how it is in Little Cayman and how the resort, Southern Cross Club is? I hear good things about both but would apprecaite any info

We stayed at Southern Cross 3 years ago and it is definitely on the list to return. The food was great and the staff was absolutely the best. Diving? Well, I don't even know where to start. Unbelievable. There is a reason that the dive boats on Cayman Brac come to Little Cayman. Southern Cross is very laid back and if you are not a diver, there is not much to do. We did a 2 tank every morning and then used the kayaks and bikes in the afternoon. We rode across the island and snorkelled at the same dive sites we had been at that morning several times. We want to go back every year, but decided we should give a couple of other locations a chance, so have gone to Provo (2nd trip), San Salvador (2nd trip) and this year going to Roatan. We have a couple more spots to go to before becoming regulars at Southern Cross. I heard they lost a couple of buildings (each building held 2 rooms) last fall and are rebuilding so my information was pre-2004 hurricanes. Hope this helps!

TrainerAW

I checked out the Activity Guide message board and while it is not the best source of diving information, there are a lot of informed people there and it's worth a visit to learn of many other things about the island. Fun site too! Thanks for the tip. :wink:

realityIII:
What kind of problems? And with which board? Both of those palces are spot on accurate. The activityguide one is run by a magazine editor with a zero tolerance for flaming and insults. Its the friendliest and most accurate board dedicated to cayman I ever saw. I like the people here too, so all I am saying is that it is more dedicated to cayman so you will pick up some more tips there from cayman-dedicated divers. One guy there told me about a spot called babylon that no one talks about. He put maps and directions in his post and made it easy for me to find. Maybe you are thinking about a different board. I can\'t see as how anyone would have a problem there unless they came to flame.

I've tried several different usernames but the forum will not let me register. I think the program is broken. Any suggestions? Do you have an email address for the moderator of the forum?

thanks,
Bill Montgomery
503-659-5390
Portland Oregon

Nancy32:
I checked out the Activity Guide message board and while it is not the best source of diving information, there are a lot of informed people there and it's worth a visit to learn of many other things about the island. Fun site too! Thanks for the tip. :wink:
I also checked out the Activity Guide message board and found this site NOT a good source of information because of the bias information leaning to only paid advertisor in their guide. According to the Activity Guide, Sunset House Diving does not run Stingray City trips, wrong information. That is just one example of many.

worlddiver:
I also checked out the Activity Guide message board and found this site NOT a good source of information because of the bias information leaning to only paid advertisor in their guide. According to the Activity Guide, Sunset House Diving does not run Stingray City trips, wrong information. That is just one example of many.

Agreed. It is a ridiculous site for obtaining personal recommendations. If you answer a post by recommending a place that's not in the guide, the "moderator" will either shoot it down (even though he probably hasn't even been there) or delete your post. Anyone can find out where the Indian restaurants or Stingray City trips are here by googling or looking in the phone book. What people are trying to find out is whether anyone's been to them & whether they're any good. That board is useless for that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom