Read this BEFORE you go to CAYMAN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

realityIII

Reaction score
There have been many changes to the island since the hurricane and it is important to go there armed with knowledge and unbiased information. I found this place that shows all the places that are currently open:

www.gotocayman.com

And a wonderful board with thousands of members who know the score. You will get unbiased reviews, information, and meet a lot of friends too:

www.caymanactivityguide.com/forums

And feel free to bounce a PM off one of the Cayman Scubaboarders. I've run across some "problems" in the past with info on that other board. Mostly it's good, but a second sources for corroboration is a good thing.

Drew Sailbum:
And feel free to bounce a PM off one of the Cayman Scubaboarders. I\'ve run across some \"problems\" in the past with info on that other board. Mostly it\'s good, but a second sources for corroboration is a good thing.
What kind of problems? And with which board? Both of those palces are spot on accurate. The activityguide one is run by a magazine editor with a zero tolerance for flaming and insults. Its the friendliest and most accurate board dedicated to cayman I ever saw. I like the people here too, so all I am saying is that it is more dedicated to cayman so you will pick up some more tips there from cayman-dedicated divers. One guy there told me about a spot called babylon that no one talks about. He put maps and directions in his post and made it easy for me to find. Maybe you are thinking about a different board. I can\'t see as how anyone would have a problem there unless they came to flame.

I'm pretty sure Drew wasn't trying to start a fight. I took his comment simply as a reminder to folks on this board that there are some very knowledgable Cayman Islanders here who will be happy to provide up-to-date info, either on list or through a PM. As just one example, I'm pretty sure Drew himself has identified Babylon as one of his favorite dive sites on several occasions over the years. That's not to say folks shouldn't check out as many sources of info as they can find; just that no one site probably has a monopoly on the best info.

sdwho

realityIII:
What kind of problems? And with which board? Both of those palces are spot on accurate. The activityguide one is run by a magazine editor with a zero tolerance for flaming and insults. Its the friendliest and most accurate board dedicated to cayman I ever saw. I like the people here too, so all I am saying is that it is more dedicated to cayman so you will pick up some more tips there from cayman-dedicated divers. One guy there told me about a spot called babylon that no one talks about. He put maps and directions in his post and made it easy for me to find. Maybe you are thinking about a different board. I can\'t see as how anyone would have a problem there unless they came to flame.

pilot fish:
Anyone know how it is in Little Cayman and how the resort, Southern Cross Club is? I hear good things about both but would apprecaite any info
Southern Cross lost two of their duplex units, so now they are down by 4 rooms from before the hurricane. Since there are 3 duplex units still standing, they currently have 6 rooms (at two guests each) plus Blossom Cottage, so I believe their current capacity is 14 people. The dock has been rebuilt and it looks even better than before. They are understaffed at the moment (only one working divemaster) but are advertising on the PADI Pros web page for a replacement.

In a nutshell, Southern Cross is in fine shape. Likewise, a visitor to Little Cayman would scarcely notice damage from the hurricane. I notice it, because I live here, but at this point the residual damage is really limited to ornamental landscaping. We had severe flooding, and the salt water wiped out most stuff that isn't native to the beach environment.

Bruce

zf2nt:
Southern Cross lost two of their duplex units, so now they are down by 4 rooms from before the hurricane. Since there are 3 duplex units still standing, they currently have 6 rooms (at two guests each) plus Blossom Cottage, so I believe their current capacity is 14 people. The dock has been rebuilt and it looks even better than before. They are understaffed at the moment (only one working divemaster) but are advertising on the PADI Pros web page for a replacement.

In a nutshell, Southern Cross is in fine shape. Likewise, a visitor to Little Cayman would scarcely notice damage from the hurricane. I notice it, because I live here, but at this point the residual damage is really limited to ornamental landscaping. We had severe flooding, and the salt water wiped out most stuff that isn't native to the beach environment.

Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I spoke to Southern Cross yesterday and they told me exactly what you describe. I was also told that the sites, Bloody Bay and Jackson were totally untouched. Is the flight from GC a pain? Is it really 45 minutes? I had no idea Little Cayman was 90 miles from GC ?I thought they wer more like a few miles apart. Shows what I know

pilot fish:
Thanks, Bruce. I spoke to Southern Cross yesterday and they told me exactly what you describe. I was also told that the sites, Bloody Bay and Jackson were totally untouched. Is the flight from GC a pain? Is it really 45 minutes? I had no idea Little Cayman was 90 miles from GC ?I thought they wer more like a few miles apart. Shows what I know

You should have been there before jets went to the Brac and Little Cayman!
Although it made allot less noise on the Brac, it has made them allot closer

I should rephrase that, no jets for LC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom