Re: Night Dive training requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And thus by strong mathematical induction, an infinite number of lights become none, and you might as well not bother and carry none to begin with.

HTH, HAND, YOUR GONE DIE!!!!

Do you have a point? Are you recommending night diving with only 1 torch?

Do you have a point? Are you recommending night diving with only 1 torch?

Did you go night diving on Roatan?

There isn't a whole lot to night diving/limited viz procedures that warrants a whole certification (though I do teach night/limited viz with navigation during the time period of peak algae blooms) by itself.

I would hope that if you are sufficiently equipped, can describe lost buddy procedures, basic communication, etc., no dive op should have an issue with you on a night dive, even if it is your first one. There just isn't much to it. If that scares people, just dive during the day only.

Why is "dive during the day only" preferable to taking the night diver course for people who are interested in but apprehensive about night diving?

Why is "dive during the day only" preferable to taking the night diver course for people who are interested in but apprehensive about night diving?
To me, diving is about skills and practices. Addressing fear is a separate issue. Does one really need an instructor to overcome their fear of diving at night? Or going with an experienced diver?

So asking an experienced amateur for help is better than paying an instructor?

Fear and skills may be separate in some instances, but fear can also be the direct result of a lack of skills, or a perceived lack of skills. Either way, training can build confidence. I'm honestly quite surprised by your take here. Do your students not come out of your classes with any more confidence than they went in with?

IMHO an experienced amateur could actually be better than an instructor.

Better a good experienced friend (who will probably understand the person better) than a potentially over officious instructor. There really isn't a huge amount to learn about night diving.

IMHO an experienced amateur could actually be better than an instructor.

Better a good experienced friend (who will probably understand the person better) than a potentially over officious instructor. There really isn't a huge amount to learn about night diving.
Very true! Once you're an instructor you can 'self-certify' quite a few specialties based on previous experience (and the inevitable $$$). Doesn't necessarily make you any more knowledgeable than anyone else.

I'd be the first to admit that I've got several 'honorary' dry specialty instructor certs I don't know a thing about, from different agencies! I wouldn't teach them as it wouldn't be fair on the student.

Fish Identification? - big, small, cute, scary, pretty, ugly
Fish Economist? - o_O

Original question was not about taking a course, it was about needing a cert for a "standard package" on Roatan, that includes a night dive. You don't; they won't ask for AOW cert before El Aguila either.

Right, and we've established six pages back that you don't "need" it in the sense that they won't ask for it. But wetb4igetinthewater seemed to be saying you shouldn't take the course, even if you're nervous, and I'm trying to understand why. It's not clear to me whether OP has a trusted friend/mentor with night diving experience, and certainly he's not the only new diver reading this. I didn't have any friends who were willing and able to show me the ropes, and I was a little nervous about surf entries in the dark, which is why I took the course. I found it worthwhile. My night diver card went right into my desk drawer (probably could've gone right into the garbage), but I've done a bunch of night dives now that I feel comfortable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom