Razor 4.0 v xdeep tec 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just have a minimalist webbing harness and bungee any weight I neet to the webbing. IMO the X-Deep harness is over engineered.

I just have a minimalist webbing harness and bungee any weight I neet to the webbing. IMO the X-Deep harness is over engineered.
Bungeeing 8-10kgs of weights for cold water is not something that kinda works well to be honest. I like the harness just for the pocket.

Bungeeing 8-10kgs of weights for cold water is not something that kinda works well to be honest. I like the harness just for the pocket.

10kgs is only 4 blocks of lead and I have more flexibility with distribution. I've done as much as 15 when forced to use al80s in the PNW.

Exactly what features do you consider "over engineered" ?

Exactly what features do you consider "over engineered" ?

I realize that sidemount is not DIR, but you don't have to throw out the keep it simple philosophy with the BPW. It doesn't get simpler than a skeleton harness. Mine only has two pieces of webbing just like a BPW.

I realize that sidemount is not DIR, but you don't have to throw out the keep it simple philosophy with the BPW. It doesn't get simpler than a skeleton harness. Mine only has two pieces of webbing just like a BPW.

I understand what you are saying but I still don't see how it is over engineered. It took a skeleton harness and made improvements, at least IMO.

A harness is a harness.
The wing on the other hand is a bit over engineered but imho awesome with sligh modifications.

I am of the same mindset as J-Vo. XDeep is obviously a good product, but Razor offers simplicity, ruggedness, and easy replacement/customization/repair.

I am not a fan of the adjustment points on XDeep even though they are awesome if you are an instructor trying to quickly get students properly buoyant and certified.

Building a Razor takes more effort. But in my opinion you get more bang for buck.

One valid criticism is the balooning of the Bat wing when you stick on heavy tanks. But, when going through a tight spot you are probably deflating your wing anyway. So in my mind it’s a moot issue unless it just is a personal pet peeve.

Body size can come into play. Smaller (around) people generally find the razor to be a better fit. When I weighed 300ish pounds, the xDeep was a better fit. A hundred pounds less and the razor is my go to.

Both are great, though I still miss the xdeep butt dump valve.

Body size can come into play. Smaller (around) people generally find the razor to be a better fit. When I weighed 300ish pounds, the xDeep was a better fit. A hundred pounds less and the razor is my go to.

Both are great, though I still miss the xdeep butt dump valve.
I’m 5’4 with 31” waist, definitely can attest to this. Much prefer my razor.

Back
Top Bottom