RAW example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
SeaYoda...one thing to think about: what might be trash in JPEG, ain't necessarily so in RAW!
You haven't seen MY trash :D . I'm still playing with settings and often get blurs and things they have not made software to fix yet. Color and contrast are the least of my worries :D .

SeaYoda:
I'm still playing with settings and often get blurs and things they have not made software to fix yet. .

Oh yeah, I get those, too. But not as many as I used to - you're well on your way...like Dori says "just keep shooting, shooting, shooting (sic)" :fish:

ReyeR - can you explain more about why you don't use RAW when shooting with strobe? Is it because you would rather take advantage of taking more frames faster than RAW will allow? Or is it because of not needing to deal with wb the same way as in non-strobe shots? Bit of both? Something else?
Yes, a bit of both. For fast moving or skittish subjects shooting in RAW on the C5050 is useless when combined with the shutter lag. Better to get a SHQ shot of the subject than ending up with a RAW 'fish butt' :) . Within strobe range I need minimum post-processing (curves) to get nice exposures so JPEG provides satisfactory results. The third reason is that extra step of adjustment when using the RAW convertor, though one can argue that one would spend that time working with curves and levels with JPEGs. The RAW thumbnail browser that plugs into Windows Explorer has also made life a whole lot easier.

Hey All,
This sounds like a good place to post my newbie question. I figured out from reading this thread that the Oly raw converter I just downloaded is a "basic" converter without the bells and whistles. Here's why I'm still confused. The plugin, as I see it, converts the propriatary Oly *.orf file (raw file?) to a format Photoshop can import. As I've discoved it gives you 3 "on the fly" options to convert including WB. I've been experimenting with saving the files as *.psd and *.tiff. So if I've converted the *.orf file to something I can save in PS, what is the actual PS *.raw format? I can save the imported file as a RAW file bit I'm lost there. I'm confused, PS sees a *.raw format but Oly's formay is ORF? And when shooting in Oly's "RAW" mode it saves the file to ORF?
Depending on what converters I eventually end up with will I be saving the files with a *.RAW extension and then open that with PS?

Hi alcina, I took your first shot and tried to see what I could get by exposure- and color-correcting (I hate that term anymore) the jpg. Here's what I came up with. Obviously there are some jpg compression artifacts.

It's a really nice picture. Good job.

Your raw file had a lot of data as you guessed. My attemt at a touch up to your photo.

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom