RAW example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Randy! Yoda gave me that link last night...it loaded! I just haven't had time today to play with it.

Randyp1234:

We all seem to have reached a reasonable conclusion that one of the biggest advantages (of many) of shooting in RAW is the ability to change white balance on the fly. Everyone should be aware that the import plugin that Olympus provides gives you very limited functionality. All it is really doing is allowing you to process a RAW file with the 'as shot' settings - in effect using your computer's processor instead of the camera's.
To get the full sense of the 'power' of RAW I highly recommend using one like Adobe's RAW Convertor. Attached are three screenshots:
  1. As shot
  2. With a little bit of white balance, exposure and shadow tweaking
  3. Or change the mood with some extreme tweaks
You can see from the interface the full functionality provided by the Adobe RAW Convertor.

justleesa:
Does it work with PSE too? I didn't see it mentioned
It says 5.0 and up so I'm not sure if PSE is in the version chain to 7.01.

ReyeR,
I'm just trying to be cheap :D , I just bought PS7 so did't want to pay $169.00 (more than what I paid for PS7 full) for the upgrade - but if you care to donate ......

SeaYoda:
I'm just trying to be cheap :D , I just bought PS7 so did't want to pay $169.00 (more than what I paid for PS7 full) for the upgrade - but if you care to donate ......

:D :D I know what you mean. It's ridiculous....

Not sure about this as I have PSCS so don't have to think about it but

wouldn't it STILL be better to shoot in RAW now, even without the Adobe version as eventually you will update to a software version that can handle RAW files and then you will have the original to work from.

I understand it to be kind of like using an original slide in ten years rather than the print from Wal-Mart.

alcina:

wouldn't it STILL be better to shoot in RAW now, even without the Adobe version as eventually you will update to a software version that can handle RAW files and then you will have the original to work from.

I understand it to be kind of like using an original slide in ten years rather than the print from Wal-Mart.

Yes, that's a good way of looking at it. The only considerations are the longer saving time to disk, larger disk space and longer workflow process. I generally shoot in SHQ JPG with the strobes. The only exceptions when I shoot in RAW are if it's (a) something special (like pygmies etc) or (b) if I'm using a filter. Ofcourse this is just a generalisation of the rules...

I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from shooting RAW. In fact I was trying to demonstrate the (many) advantages of shooting in RAW...

alcina:

I'm coming to that conclusion and I'm not yet unhappy with the converter plug-in for PS7. I have not gotten good enough with my shots (I have to remember that I just got started with U/W shots in March) and the subjects are not spectacular at the jetties so I'll probably practice more with SHQ JPEG and if there is something special take that in RAW. I still bring home a lot of trash pics to learn from and RAW might slow me down.

OK, this has been really great. I understand a lot more now. I love this learning thing!!

For the type of shooting I do, RAW is great. YMMV

SeaYoda...one thing to think about: what might be trash in JPEG, ain't necessarily so in RAW! I am happy sacrificing the time to write for the benefit of maximum control. Still, I would rather get it right underwater, but when I don't or when it could be "righter" this format suits me best.

The slower write speed sucks, but I was having problems with SHQ writing slow, too. At least with RAW I can see the little bar going across and it feels less frustrating :wink: . Next purchase - fast fast card...as much as the Oly can handle!

ReyeR - can you explain more about why you don't use RAW when shooting with strobe? Is it because you would rather take advantage of taking more frames faster than RAW will allow? Or is it because of not needing to deal with wb the same way as in non-strobe shots? Bit of both? Something else? Your information is awesome - thanks for helping those of us who are totally new!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom