RAW example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hdtran:
but a 500x350 jpeg is pretty safe for a 50K limit BB, and makes a reasonably nice picture in a post.

Can you do the Photoshop correction on top of jpegs, or do you need the RAW file to do it in? .

I usually post 640x480 and 540 longest side on a vertical.

Yes, you can do it on JPEGs - but I wouldn't. Usually I save my image as a psd and work on that (NEVER the original!) as everytime you do something to the JPEG you lose quality.

alcina:
Might be a good thing to put a sticky on or add it to an existing one. I use PSCS so can't help here!
We need to stop meeting like this - now I'm playing thread tag with you and Dee. I asked what version of PS you used and got my answer over here. Is this multitasking?

Any example of any underwater RAW photos with the white balance done in the converter? If it gets similar results to what Gilligan and others are doing by playing with slates, then I'll shoot RAW full time underwater except if I'm practicing with a flash. My goal is to get away from the manual slate RAW adjustments so I can shoot on the fly while changing depths.

Steve

alcina:
Yes, it's fabulous. Usually I use the slider instead of the drop-down menu, though I do usually click through them just to see what happens. I am just starting to learn.

The WB in the converter, as I understand it, removes the step of having to fiddle with the buttons and slate/sand etc underwater. It does more than that, but if you are shooting in RAW you don't deal with that underwater. Though I am curious to see what would happen if you DID do the WB thing underwater and THEN work on it in the converter...anything? not sure as I thought with RAW the camera doesn't apply any of that stuff itself??

Like I said, complete newbie.

I just posted a thread with some comparison shots. Not the greatest pic to work on for color, but contrast was nice. The thread is More RAW meat. Hope we can all have a good learning session from the pros here on SB.

friscuba:
Any example of any underwater RAW photos with the white balance done in the converter? If it gets similar results to what Gilligan and others are doing by playing with slates, then I'll shoot RAW full time underwater except if I'm practicing with a flash. My goal is to get away from the manual slate RAW adjustments so I can shoot on the fly while changing depths.

Steve

This is one of the advantages of RAW...you don't do the settings underwater at all.

Why wouldn't you shoot in RAW when using strobes?

The only reason I wouldn't is for practice. I figure when I initially get started with a flash I'm going to have a learning curve on the shots. If I'm shooting at stuff I really don't care about except for exposure purposes, I figure why wait 17 seconds for my camera (oly 8080) to write an 11mp RAW file.

I'm still hoping to see some examples of picutes taken without any use of manual WB in RAW, I think Yoda's pics were all balanced manually prior to the shot if I read one of his comments correctly.

It'll probably be sometime in August or September before I actually hook up with a housing to where I can try this stuff.

later,

Steve

alcina:
This is one of the advantages of RAW...you don't do the settings underwater at all.

Why wouldn't you shoot in RAW when using strobes?

Back
Top Bottom