RAW example

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK...this isn't the very best example, I'm sure. But it should give those who haven't used the RAW feature a bit of an idea of one thing RAW is useful for.

I took this the other day. Wasn't paying attention to my settings and got the first result. I knew I was shooting in RAW so decided to keep it instead of deleting it as I am just learning the capabilities and hadn't played with a massively underexposed shot before. Sure glad I did.

Second shot is my 30 second adjustment of mainly the exposure bar in the RAW converter.

The shot may not ever grace the cover of a magazine, but I think it is a perfectly acceptable shot now and I like it! It can probably be improved upon, but I really wanted to get this up for comments and to encourage those of you who have cameras capable of RAW (and the attendant software) to at least try it out...it's pretty cool.

I asked in another post but I'll repeat it....Tell me more about the RAW plug in. I'm using PS7 and if I understand right, I need one.

Dee:
I asked in another post but I'll repeat it....Tell me more about the RAW plug in. I'm using PS7 and if I understand right, I need one.
I posted an answer in the other thread - If you can PM me on how to post a link, I've got one for the download.

LOL...we're playing post tag! I just responded to your other post.

You're it!

Photoshoped :) underwater.atn Ok so how do i attach a thumbnail that grows when you click it? :11:

Have you played with the white balance on the RAW converter? My camera has RAW and I'm hoping when I get a housing that correcting white balance is nothing more than a simple click or two of a button away.

Steve

alcina:
OK...this isn't the very best example, I'm sure. But it should give those who haven't used the RAW feature a bit of an idea of one thing RAW is useful for.

I took this the other day. Wasn't paying attention to my settings and got the first result. I knew I was shooting in RAW so decided to keep it instead of deleting it as I am just learning the capabilities and hadn't played with a massively underexposed shot before. Sure glad I did.

Second shot is my 30 second adjustment of mainly the exposure bar in the RAW converter.

The shot may not ever grace the cover of a magazine, but I think it is a perfectly acceptable shot now and I like it! It can probably be improved upon, but I really wanted to get this up for comments and to encourage those of you who have cameras capable of RAW (and the attendant software) to at least try it out...it's pretty cool.

Dunno, but it looks like you are loving that action!! It works pretty well, I'd say. Thanks for putting it up - I find seeing so many people's ideas and examples really helpful (I suspect many others do too!)

FWIW - I wanted this shot as blues originally. (but I like the actioned one,too...do you know if the action works in CS - might be another tool to add...now to find the link...)

friscuba:
Have you played with the white balance on the RAW converter? My camera has RAW and I'm hoping when I get a housing that correcting white balance is nothing more than a simple click or two of a button away.

Steve

Yes, it's fabulous. Usually I use the slider instead of the drop-down menu, though I do usually click through them just to see what happens. I am just starting to learn.

The WB in the converter, as I understand it, removes the step of having to fiddle with the buttons and slate/sand etc underwater. It does more than that, but if you are shooting in RAW you don't deal with that underwater. Though I am curious to see what would happen if you DID do the WB thing underwater and THEN work on it in the converter...anything? not sure as I thought with RAW the camera doesn't apply any of that stuff itself??

Like I said, complete newbie.

Scuba_John:
Photoshoped :) underwater.atn Ok so how do i attach a thumbnail that grows when you click it? :11:

My experience has been (not necessarily this board, but another) that if you attach a jpeg photo, not a thumbnail, the BB software automatically turns it into a thumbnail and posts the thumbnail for you. I don't recall Scubaboard's attachment limit, but a 500x350 jpeg is pretty safe for a 50K limit BB, and makes a reasonably nice picture in a post.

Very nice color correction as far as I can see, btw.

Can you do the Photoshop correction on top of jpegs, or do you need the RAW file to do it in? I have an older digital camera which takes jpegs or TIFFs (huge monsters!). If I understand correctly, by the time you get the TIFF, the camera has already white-balanced-and-exposed the picture, so there's little point in keeping a TIFF rather than a SHQ jpeg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom