Rash Guards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainPanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've had a look at rash guards for warm water, and more specifically, I've seen the *price* of rash guards. How is a rash guard different than, say, a long-sleeved T-shirt for diving? On the surface, it appears that they would do the same thing, and one is significantly less expensive.

The rash guards I’ve seen actually have UV protection. Plus they’re not heavy like a cotton T-shirt when they get wet. Actually made to be used in the water. I don’t know where you’re looking, but I’ve seen ones on Amazon that aren’t too bad.

The scuba branded ones are definitely pricey. I just looked and saw ones on Amazon for $20-$30.

The rash guards I’ve seen actually have UV protection. Plus they’re not heavy like a cotton T-shirt when they get wet. Actually made to be used in the water. I don’t know where you’re looking, but I’ve seen ones on Amazon that aren’t too bad.

The scuba branded ones are definitely pricey. I just looked and saw ones on Amazon for $20-$30.
Is a T-shirt not UV blocking?

The rash guards have SPF of 50. But, hey, if you want to cheap out and dive in a cotton t-shirt that gets heavy when wet, go ahead. Bet the rash guard would be more comfortable.

Cheating out on small dollar stuff that makes diving more comfortable is foolish.

The rash guards have SPF of 50. But, hey, if you want to cheap out and dive in a cotton t-shirt that gets heavy when wet, go ahead. Bet the rash guard would be more comfortable.

Cheating out on small dollar stuff that makes diving more comfortable is foolish.
I'm not saying you're wrong - it's obviously made for diving and watersports, and your points about fast drying make sense. I'm just trying to understand this point. Both a T-shirt and a rash guard cover the skin and block UV, so what makes a rash guard better at it?

Rash guards are not heavy and constricting when wet like a cotton t-shirt. A t-shirt underwater would be miserable. Bunches up, wrinkles don't smooth out, and they don't get stiff when they dry. T-shirts will also hold more crap and be harder to rinse out.
UnderArmor heat gear is essentially the same thing but more expensive.
Rash guards also tend to fit better without being constrictive. They also do not stretch out like a t-shirt when wet.
Most rash guards are no more expensive than a good t-shirt and they can be worn over and over without coming out looking like crap. In the long run, using t-shirts ends up being more expensive.

I use a rash guard during the summer constantly.
and you can usually find them cheap if you look for wakeboarding, kitsurfing and surfing rashguards. You can get great deals on them.

I got an ION hooded rashguard for 30EUR shipped, and I like it much more than my scubapro rash guard I had previously. I usually combine them with a hooded west and neoprene shorts to form an travel friendly shorty for tropics.

I've dived in cotton t-shirts in warm water. They are OK, but are somewhat abrasive when wet and I've ended up with chafed areas on my neck for example. They also take a long time to dry. True rashguards are made from polyester with a bit of spandex. They are meant to be form fitting to reduce drag and chafing.

A decent compromise is 100% poly technical T-shirts like Nike Dri-Fit if you don't want buy dedicated rashguards. They fit like normal t-shirts, but won't chafe as bad as cotton and they dry as fast as rashguards. They are also a lot cheaper than rashguards (for example a Hanes 2 pack is currently $19) and you can wear them out of the water. I actually prefer them to cotton for daily wear.

Amazon - Hanes Men's Long Sleeve Cool Dri T-Shirt UPF 50+ (Pack of 2)

edit: What's the deal with Amazon links getting turned into media embeds? I had to hand enter the link and description directly in bbcode.

Also, main thing I like about rashguards and or wetshirts is that they protect form the wind when you're on a boat or exiting, which if usually overlooked IMHO

Back
Top Bottom