Rapture of the deep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Yet another thread about our old enemy nitrogen narcosis.

We talk about how to avoid it, detect it and even defeat it. What about enjoying it?

I've come across a few old divers who aren't afraid to admit they simply find it enhances their dive and plan accordingly.

I'm not referring to the thrill seeker, bounce dive, no redundancy, inexperienced, unplanned and largely ignorant divers who end up statistics nor do I support this kind of diving.

However, any of us 'sensible' divers still getting narced on purpose?

If so, what safeguards do you feel you have in place?

Regards,
Cameron

Ps. I hope I don't explode the forum. I'm dangerously near a hot topic on this one.

In the Black Coral documentary several of the guys refer to narcosis in a positive way, one of them even says that "there is no drug like air at 200' ". he is a medical doctor on his dry job sooo...

I doubt anyone is planning a "narc" dive these days but I guess some people enjoy the "buzz" as an added benefit. not really my thing, Im too aware of my ability to screw up the easiest things when Im fully compos mentis, never mind off my t*ts in the ocean

I am not a fan of being narced at all! Pass the helium please.

However, any of us 'sensible' divers still getting narced on purpose?

I do. Now, not because I'm seeking a buzz, but I dive to depths where some level of narcosis is going to occur. Years ago (before trimix was a thing) I slowly made deeper dives and explored my tolerances. Through the slow accumulation of experience, I learned what seemed manageable. I find, for example, that on a dive to about 130' I definitely feel some narcosis, but it is manageable. Like RainPilot though, I worry about screwing something up, so I view narcosis as something to be mindful of and managed, not embraced.

I am not a fan of being narced at all! Pass the helium please.

Just finished two weeks in 51°, 1-4ft viz water with 4 knot current. I wouldn't have minded a helping of helium myself trying (and failing consistently) to hold position for photographs.

Unfortunately my volunteer fire department fill station seems reluctant to invest in the upgrades I proposed so I'm still on air.

I do. Now, not because I'm seeking a buzz, but I dive to depths where some level of narcosis is going to occur.

Snip...

so I view narcosis as something to be mindful of and managed, not embraced.

Sounds like we are in similar boats...

I'm fully aware how dense I can be at the best of times without voluntarily adding narcing. So, at those depths/conditions it's generally a nuisance I know I'll meet but wouldn't mind missing out on.

Cameron

Ps. I must say I'm impressed we haven't got lost in deep air discussion yet! Thanks for keeping on topic.

Yeah, can't always avoid it and do the dive, but when I can throw the helium in, I do! :wink:

i don't enjoy it for it's own sake, but the stupid stuff i do narked is hilarious afterwards!

We used to conduct a chamber dive as one of the electives for NAUI Master Diver back when. One of my favorite / scariest things was asking the divers afterwards if any had gotten narced. Everyone denied it vehemently, till they watched the video we took of them laughing and giggling like the cast of a Seth Rogen film.

Those dives were to 50 meters on air.

50m on air does indeed make one mentally incapacitated which does not come without real risk. Slightly more shallow depths can be relaxing, though. It is like recreational use of akcohol: it can be good and it can kill you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom