The Advent of Commercial Helium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for posting the videos.

Interestingly, the Eureka, the coring vessel Shell provided as the support vessel for Hannes Keller’s 1,000’/305M dive off Catalina Island in December 1962 was fitted with a dynamic positioning system.

According to Dynamic positioning - Wikipedia, whereas the CUSS I was kept in position manually with four steerable propellers as part of Project Mohole, the Eureka had an analogue control system interfaced with a taut wire, making it the first true dynamically-positioned ship.

The term Dynamic Positioning was coined by Willard Bascom years before the Mohole project. He was working on ways to get around the need for tugs during a labor strike. I don't think any of these people anticipated the technology behind today's DP. Imagined it maybe, but thought that it would happen in their lifetimes, no.

The first DP system I personally saw was in 1975 and used a DEC PDP-11 in a climate controlled compartment behind the wheelhouse. I can't even imagine how many of these things it would take to have the floating point capacity of a smart-phone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom