Rapa Nui (Easter Island) diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Everyone

Can anyone tell me anything about diving in/on Rapa Nui? I saw someone posted a great trip report in 2006 and that was great - thank you!
I'm likely to be there at the beginning of August - yes, I know this is the middle of winter there, but I'll be in that part of the world for work so my diving plans unfortunately have no influence on the timing :wink:

Does anyone know what the water temperatures are there? I have read that the conditions may in fact be better in winter in terms of currents, wind, waves etc. but I can't find much about water temperatures.

Also, there seem to be mixed reports regarding the skill level needed for diving there. Some say that only experienced divers should dive, some say it's easy and no worries for relatively newly certified divers. I'm experienced but I'm likely to be diving with a relatively new diver (my boss!) and don't want to get him killed! :11: (wouldn't look good on my resume!)

I'm just at the beginning of my research so sorry for the vague questions. I have been doing some searching online but I trust you guys to give me real information rather than the sometimes random "facts" that are floating around in cyberspace so I thought I'd check in with you before wasting lots of time :).

I was in Easter Island in early April 2008. I made total 4 dives in various dive sites. Before I went there, I didn't have eny expectation because I know that there is not much marine life. however......

The most popular dive site is Hanga Roa where you can dive with a underwater MOAI (the famous Easter Island statue). This dive was rather easy and good for beginners. The max depth that we made was 23.5M.

The other 3 dives (Te Peu, Motu Nui, Lost Arch) were farer away and requires more dive experiences to go. In my opinion, these 3 sites are more fun and beautiful than the moai!! Motu Nui ~ world no 1 visbility!!! Blue! Blue! Very Blue!! Lost Arch ~ Great underwater landscape, really feel like a fish diving in between arches & caves. But this dive is very deep.... 39.5M & deco!!

There was one day very windy and rough. One of the divers on our boat got sea sick and .......

The average water temperature was around 24 - 25 degree. quite warm!! but I don't know the condition in August.

As a conclusion, diving in Easter Island is not for marine life but for its unlimited visibility & special underwater landscape!!

I didn't take pictures underwater, but you are still welcome to have a look at my Easter Island pictures: Always Looking Forward to Next Journey!!

Your travel pictures are fantastic--what an amazing trip! Did you plan everything separately or have tour operators get you out to Easter Is?

Wendy,

I saw your pictures and you are now my idol.:wink: The places you have visited are amazing...made me wish I was there!!!!

Your travel pictures are fantastic--what an amazing trip! Did you plan everything separately or have tour operators get you out to Easter Is?

Oceancat,

I planned and booked everything by myself:
~ Airticket : through LAN.com
~ Hostel : International Youth Hostel
~ Diving : Orca Dive Center (right in front of the port in Easter Island)

It was my "Once in Life" trip ~ South America + Antarctica!! Lasted total 6.5 months and spent all my savings.

So, now I am back to reality..... working working working

Wendy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom