Ran out of money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjacobsen22

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys !! This is not really a question.

Thing is, three years ago i got into diving, took my c-card and got fairly experienced. I live in scandinavia, where the diving is cold and murky, but began dreaming wild dreams of tropical diving and big-animal adventures. But being a university student, I would never have been able to afford these kind of trips, so I took leave from my studies and began working like crazy so I could dive !! Within two years I managed to visit:

Australia, Great Barrier Reef.
Maldives on the Aggressor.
Red Sea, Brothers/Daedelus/Elphinstone.
Socorro on Nautilus Explorer.
Guadalupe Great White Sharks on Nautilus Explorer.
Cocos Island, twice on Okeanos.
Galapagos Island, twice on Aggressor 2.
Bahamas, Tiger Sharks at Tiger Beach.

Now i´m back in school, trying to finish the last two years of my masters degree, completely broke, and with no new diving adventures within sight.
This is really bugging me, I loved touring the world, meeting great people, and experiencing wild nature at its best. Getting a decent education is important, but I truly miss the beautiful schools of hammerheads, humpbacks singing in the background, while giant Mantas dance in front of me, being eyeballed by a huge great white shark, and all the other great moments I´ve had with the sea.

Even though I´m full of fond memories, I find that getting used to everyday life without the prospect of new adventures, really sucks!!

Diving at nice places can be narcotic. Finishing a graduate degree is investment in the future. One ensures a level of financial security which = more diving in the near future.

X

Consider investigating career options that would allow for those adventures to continue.

A job that requires significant travel can offer opportunities to dive both by scheduling your business trips creatively, and by racking up the frequent flier miles you can lower your trip costs significantly.

Oh to be young again! You have been very fortunate to have the travel opportunities so far.

You need to choose a career that will that either make you a lot of money so you can continue to travel or one in marine biology so you can use your research to pay for trips to unexplored oceans. If you don't want to work on Sundays then don't beome a preacher.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have chosen the marine biology route. It helped that I have since moved to southern California from Rhode Island. Not that the water is any warmer, but the sights sure are prettier. (Sorry Lobsta Diva) I only got certified recently and can only dream of the places around the world to go. I talk with a lot of people here that only dive on trips.

Good luck!

Hi Guys !! This is not really a question.

Thing is, three years ago i got into diving, took my c-card and got fairly experienced. I live in scandinavia, where the diving is cold and murky, but began dreaming wild dreams of tropical diving and big-animal adventures. But being a university student, I would never have been able to afford these kind of trips, so I took leave from my studies and began working like crazy so I could dive !! Within two years I managed to visit:

Australia, Great Barrier Reef.
Maldives on the Aggressor.
Red Sea, Brothers/Daedelus/Elphinstone.
Socorro on Nautilus Explorer.
Guadalupe Great White Sharks on Nautilus Explorer.
Cocos Island, twice on Okeanos.
Galapagos Island, twice on Aggressor 2.
Bahamas, Tiger Sharks at Tiger Beach.

Now i´m back in school, trying to finish the last two years of my masters degree, completely broke, and with no new diving adventures within sight.
This is really bugging me, I loved touring the world, meeting great people, and experiencing wild nature at its best. Getting a decent education is important, but I truly miss the beautiful schools of hammerheads, humpbacks singing in the background, while giant Mantas dance in front of me, being eyeballed by a huge great white shark, and all the other great moments I´ve had with the sea.

Even though I´m full of fond memories, I find that getting used to everyday life without the prospect of new adventures, really sucks!!

What a sad story. Makes me want to send a donation so you can travel again.

Adam

Hatul - Keep your investment close to home! I'm in Long Beach and would love to hook up with OnTwoWheels the 29th for a local dive. My address is . . . .

What? Wanker's?

From your info I guess you are from Norway or Denmark. Don't know anything about diving in Denmark, but there is alot of great diving in Norway which should be able to occuppy you for a while. And if you join a university club it is quite cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom