Ran out of air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a good reminder for scuba spearfisherman. A recreational diver needs to have enough air to make it safely to the surface - and also have some air for a buddy if he needs it.

Scuba spearfisherman really should leave the bottom a little earlier. The spearfishing scuba diver should be thinking not only about how much air he needs to get to the surface safely, but also how much air he needs to shoot the fish, dispatch it, potentially untangle it from a wreck etc. and then place the fish on a stringer or in a catch bag etc.

It can easily take a couple of minutes to get things sorted out if things go wrong on that last shot, so make sure you CAREFULLY consider remaining scuba air supply when deciding if you should be pulling the trigger (or beginning the ascent)..

Also, if you buy a MAKO weight belt (and/or) weights and you must ditch them in an emergency, don't hesitate to do so, I will refund your costs for any type of diver: scuba or freediving.

Here's the official policy from our Website:

MAKO FREE REPLACEMENT/SAFETY POLICY

To our valued customers:
MAKO Spearguns recognizes that diving (both freediving and SCUBA) are potentially dangerous activities. We have all heard of tragic accidents where a diver is found on the bottom while still wearing a weight belt. We hope and pray that should any of our customers find themselves in a situation where ditching a belt may be necessary, that there is no delay and the belt is dropped immediately.

In many situations a belt is recoverable, however if your MAKO Spearguns belt and lead weights or belt reel are ditched (and lost) in a diving emergency…. I will replace it free of charge.

The last thing we want is our customers considering the cost of a lost belt in an emergency. The only thing we ask is that the individual shares with us (and our friends and customers) some sort of write-up about how the situation developed and how it was resolved. That way, we can all learn and be reminded to keep safety in the forefront of our minds.

Dive safe,
Dano

Freedive
Hey,
if you ever want situations like these to be reported, then
please be nice.

In a reply to the OP:
Did you discard your reg while doing the ascent? You could have taken many breaths from it during the ascent as ambient pressure drops.
I have only done an emergecy ascent from 20m/60ft, and with a small cylinder, but it gave me enough air even for a short safety stop. Or was this a freedive?

I'm glad you decided to drop the belt! Sorry if I misinterpreted your post as referring to scuba.

Freedive spearfishing is often very challenging. The tendency to fixate on a target or goal (like a nice fish) and suppress the impending signs of a need to breathe, is something spearos need to prepare for on every dive. It takes a lot of self discipline to kick up when you know there is a nice fish within sight.

One of the rules of thumb I like to use is that if I am thinking of going up, or have already started my ascent, I don't want to stop the ascent and make a shot. Better to ascend and hope for another opportunity after you have rested for a good while on the surface. Of course, you should always have a buddy who is watching you, too.

I don't know a whole lot of freedivers who can bomb down to 90, search for a belt and then bring it back up. To be honest, it is probably not advisable for anyone to do that.

Best to try to take a GPS number and come back later with some scuba gear and a means to lift it to the surface safely.

30m/90ft is pretty good for freediving. It means 60m diving + equalizations + time down there.
Dropping the weight belt was obviously a clever thing.

I would assume that a safety diver would have been present on a 30m constant weight apnea dive, but because it was spearfishing, then no safety diver was present. Ascent blackout is always a risk.

That would of been a good idea to mark the numbers but at that time it didnt come up to my head to do so
I'm glad you decided to drop the belt! Sorry if I misinterpreted your post as referring to scuba.

Freedive spearfishing is often very challenging. The tendency to fixate on a target or goal (like a nice fish) and suppress the impending signs of a need to breathe, is something spearos need to prepare for on every dive. It takes a lot of self discipline to kick up when you know there is a nice fish within sight.

One of the rules of thumb I like to use is that if I am thinking of going up, or have already started my ascent, I don't want to stop the ascent and make a shot. Better to ascend and hope for another opportunity after you have rested for a good while on the surface. Of course, you should always have a buddy who is watching you, too.

I don't know a whole lot of freedivers who can bomb down to 90, search for a belt and then bring it back up. To be honest, it is probably not advisable for anyone to do that.

Best to try to take a GPS number and come back later with some scuba gear and a means to lift it to the surface safely.

30m/90ft is pretty good for freediving. It means 60m diving + equalizations + time down there.
Dropping the weight belt was obviously a clever thing.

I would assume that a safety diver would have been present on a 30m constant weight apnea dive, but because it was spearfishing, then no safety diver was present. Ascent blackout is always a risk.

Sorry if I am making too many posts on this thread. A 30 meter apnea (breathhold) dive is not unusual for an intermediate freediver; I've personally been much deeper. And you are 100% correct that a safety diver should always be present and that a risk of a blackout is always a reality.

However, there is a big difference between actually spearfishing at 30 meters and simply a touch and go without being hindered by a gun and the prospect and demands of dealing with a fish. The two activities are vastly different. No freediver should be hunting anywhere near their PERSONAL maximum depth limits.

Your comment about "no safety diver present" for a spearfishing dive is not consistent with the recommendations of any training agency that I am aware of. A buddy/safety diver should ALWAYS be used when doing any sort of breathhold diving - even training in a shallow pool.

@MAKO Spearguns for spear fishing how does the safety diver system work?

Is it someone in scuba gear or someone who will just buddy and spearfish too?

Back
Top Bottom