Raja Ampat - Liveaboard & general advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read a trip report for Raja Ampat that said the currents were super scary with vortex currents that pulled you deep fast. Did you experience this? Thanks for the post.

Ok so this is filtered through 25yrs of diving, +3000 dives, etc....

Yes there we a couple of walls where I just tucked the camera away and enjoyed the ride. Are down currents, "vortexes" possible? Sure! I assume every time I get in the water anything can happen, at any moment.

BUT we nor any of our dive buddies ran into anything "scary" and I don't mean to sound arrogant but many were (IMHO) intermediate divers, several in their 60s-70s and they did great.

Should be a huge legal disclaimer at this point......

I've been to Kri Island (Sorido resort) in October, December and January perfect weather...rain storm here and there. Currents at Sardines and Kri reef?....yep (some of the strongest in Raja and strongest I've encountered)...it is the finest diving I have ever done. I have two trip reports posted here on SB.....if the DM gives you a proper briefing you will not have a problem with the currents you will swim through it and see some of the most amazing amount marine life on this planet......I'm headed there in the next few days again!

Now if you really want to do current diving go to Rangiora....whooo...hoooo!

My only concern with currents is having to swim against them...glad to hear more reassuring news from you MJH that it should be minimal time. Tried again to get in better shape before the trip but not as good as I'd like, though I can keep a pretty good pace for a while.

Riding with the currents in Palau can be some of the easiest diving you can do.

My only concern with currents is having to swim against them...glad to hear more reassuring news from you MJH that it should be minimal time. Tried again to get in better shape before the trip but not as good as I'd like, though I can keep a pretty good pace for a while.

Riding with the currents in Palau can be some of the easiest diving you can do.

I also hate to swim against currents since I am an air hog.....but any good DM will tell you the objective of swimming against the current i.e. at Kri or Sardines Reefs you swim like hell to get through them to get to a "bubble" with no current or at times swim like hell at Siaes, New Dropoff or Blue Corner to hook up....then it is all worth it!

As Travelnsj mentioned not many reasons to swim against the currents. Most of the liveaboards have tenders following you so can pop up anywhere. Unless you want to stop and look at something just go with it. There are always outcroppings, little bays that you can hide in if you want to stop or let others catch up.

I will be in RA in Nov with thearenui.com. Thank you all for the report and it is helpful. I was born in Jakarta and I lived there until I was 15. I visit there once a year. My recommendation for solo female is to take city tour provided by the hotel or some known travel agent. Not many people speak English and not many sign are in English in Jakarta. Having a local tour guide that can speak English will help you. Don't bring too much cash when you are outside the hotel (50 USD is more than enough) and keep your passport safe with you (front pocket of your pants). Violent crime (rape, stabbing, etc) is not common there. All female member of my family always put their purse in front when they walk or even when they sit down and their guard them like tigers. They even wear the backpack in front instead at the back. We never wear flashy accessories (watches, earrings, necklace, rings) and no branded (Gucci, LV, etc) items. Oh, I always leave my iPhone, blackberry or other fancy phone back in USA and use simple cheap Nokia phone and bought local Sim card. You can text message or call home cheaper than using your foreign sim card. Nothing ever happen to me and my family so far but I heard many stories from my friend where they break the car glass in traffic light and grab purse and cell phone.

Other than that, Jakarta is a great place. Majority are moderate (not extreme) Muslims and they believe in doing the right things or they go to hell. I visited Taman Mini, Animal Safari (1 1/2 hours away from Jakarta), Istiqual mosque, Monas (monument national) and several museums there. I am a golfer and Jakarta is paradise for me.

One more advice, bring CRISP 100 US dollar bill that is F or G series. You will get 10% better exchange rate. You do not have to do that in Bali but in Jakarta is different. Every money exchange and even at big banks will only give you market rate if you have new 100 (not 20, not 50) dollar bill. I know it sounds nuts that's how it works.

Again, I think you should explore Jakarta with guided tour than spending 3 days at the pool.

Have fun.

Very helpful Cmuljadi. Figures that I get great info about a place 17,000 miles away from someone in the Bay Area with me! :)

Funny too that people in foreign countries know more about American money than we do. I'd heard to bring crisp new money but wasn't aware of the series and don't know how to identify it.

I'm only passing through Jakarta airport on the way out to Raja Ampat and just bringing $20s. I expected to just use ATM to get IDR. We were in Bali earlier in the year, and figured it would work about the same. Getting your money in millions is a difficult thing to get used to at first.

Agreed MJH, just sometimes those who are diving daily forget about us mere mortals. Riding current I can do. Had some great dives in Komodo, particularly a place called Shotgun, as you can imagine from the name. Just a wall seemingly 60 feet high of golden sweepers, enough to limit the light. And big trevallies suddenly appearing out of them. Diving is awesome isn't it?

BTW, Travelnsj, your comment about Blue Corner brought back memories of the first dive there. Didn't know what to expect after all the descriptions, but it was unforgettable. We can in from deep and sharks started appearing everywhere around us, as the reef came into view. A huge school of big fish was hanging down the side of the reef. We came very close and you didn't realize the current that was running until you came up and over the reef and suddenly it was trying to wash us off. Everyone started going sideways to try to hook in. Though definitely not the toughest day, the current was pushing on the mask pretty good just hanging there, and you quickly learned the idea of the reef hook. Of course the divemasters were just swimming around back and forth while it seemed like we'd be swept right away if we let go...ah yes, Blue Corner.

Thanks again all for the comments.

Anyone who has been to the Eastern side of Indonesia, do you think full 3mm suite during Nov is too thick? I am trying to save weight and space for the check in bags. I plan to bring my shorty but I am contemplating if I should bring my full suite 3mm. I dove 4 times a day at Cozumel with shorty only but it was only for 4 days. I never done 10 days of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom