Raja Ampat - Liveaboard & general advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering a somewhat last minute trip to Raja Ampat in late Nov. Is that a good time for that area? Has anyone been on the Seahorse? I've seen mixed reviews and would like additional input. Are there other liveaboards I should be considering? I hear fantastic things about RA, but is it really worth the price? Also, the trip I have an opportunity to take is 11 nights. I've never done a liveaboard for more than 7 and 11 seems a little daunting. Does it get to be too much?
Lastly, if I do this I'll be in Jakarta for 3 days. Is it safe for a solo female traveler? My travel agent almost seemed to be recommending staying at the hotel pool for three days. Surely there is something interesting to see in Jakarta?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Hi JK Lassy

Raja Ampat :cool3:
November? :D
Seahorse: :yelclap:

Here is my trip report: Seahorse trip

As for Jakarta - the only people I have heard with a good word to say about the filthy hot, sprawling metropolis are young single men.

Good luck

Was on Seven Seas in Jan, and was good trip with many interesting people. No negatives about boat. Lots to see [already have 1,100 dives], many in Indonesia. Some of the most beautiful soft corals I encountered. Pristine. I'm macro photographer and would have liked to see more smaller things. Woebegong sharks, mantas and such are too big to photograph.

Nov should be good.

About Jakarta, been other cities, not there. I've never heard anyone say anything good about it, except for finding cheap available girls, and that aspect is not unique to Jakarta. Staying around pool might actually be more enjoyable than exploration, depends on personal interests. As for other things, Muslims expect women to dress conservatively outside of hotels & resorts. Just use common sense, and don't wander too terribly far from the trodden path.

Re. Jakarta,
as big city with population more than 10 million incl. thousands expats and tourist (not all of them looking for cheap girls)- Jakarta offer almost everything ; from monk to hedonist and for all budget. Indeed, trafic jam and crowded most of the time.
If you want get wet - a day trip diving to thousand island, sangeang, tempuyungan or krakatau is not bad. If lucky, you will see blue ring octopus at pramuka island.
Or a day trip for whitewater rafting, or climbing a mountain to watch sunrise - not in Jakarta, but you can reach within 2-3 hours.
The safari park - 2 hours from jakarta is much bigger and better than in Singapore.
Lot of museums, not well maintained but still very interesting.
If you like golf, you can play at different courses for 2 weeks incl. full 18 holes at CBD area.
The Indonesia Miniature Park is a cheap way to visit all Indonesia within few hours. Many people like it.
Taxi is not expensive but most of interesting place can be reached by busway - faster than taxi.
Not sure if you're interested with another version of disneyland or hypermalls growing everywhere.
let me know your personal interest - I believe you can spend your 3 days better than staying around pool.
Dress code - no different than Singapore, KL, Bangkok and other cities - more woman showing their belly than using burqa.

Cheers

We did the RA trip aboard the Seahorse last December. My trip report is posted here on SB.

Ok so it is long but here is a trip report for Raja. Please forgive spelling and typos still a rough draft.

Raja Ampat is another must do destination in the Coral Triangle. Our extensive reading seemed to show that Raja Ampat does have something for every diver. Incredible reefs, mangroves and some muck diving. This all proved to be true and diving in the mangroves was a first for us. Without a doubt this is another must do destination.

There are several well reviewed shore operations in the region but we chose to try the Peter Hughes Paradise Dancer. This was our first experience with a Peter Hughes vessel. We prefer live-aboards in general since you typically get to see more of the region and get more dives in per day. 4-5 dives a day is great by us! The Peter Hughes office was easy to work with and helped us with all the flight arrangements, no small task.

Getting There
As usual this is different for everyone. The main thing to know is getting in and out of Sorong can be a problem. On the way there we had no problem but on the way out the flight was canceled. Of course they made us sit in the small “holding area” for quite awhile before admitting the flight was off. Peter Hughes staff helped as much as possible but in the end you will need to find an internet site to start changing flights. Right across from the airport is a business club called The Orchid; the manager was actually at the airport expecting issues and offered his club as a place to rest and get on the internet. I was skeptical but he turned out to be a very helpful guy. Of course there are some charges, but just ask him and settle on a price.

The Paradise Dancer
This is a new boat, huge and very comfortable. If you are prone to get sea sick this is the boat for you, as often you could not even tell it was moving. It really is a beautiful ship. The designers did an excellent job combining form and function. You can go to their site and get all the stats on the boat. It can accommodate up to 20 divers but is so large you never feel crowded. The staterooms are incredible, comfortable and well thought out. King size beds, tons of storage, desks and big heads with massive showers. The wonderful design carries over into all the public areas. Think “W Hotel goes to sea”. The staff is top notch, friendly and always on the spot if you need something. Meals were good to excellent. You ordered your breakfast before the 1st dive. They had the typical offerings for Westerners but also local noodle dishes. Lunch was buffet and actually my favorite meal of the day. Often with curries, salads, grilled meats and other dishes. Dinner was typically sit down under the large awning covering the central deck.

The Camera Room
Everyone on this trip had some form of camera. Equally distributed between point&shoots, housed DSLRs and video cameras. They camera room was just big enough as long as everyone was not in there at once. There were plenty of charging stations but I think bringing your own power-strip or Squid is recommended. The storage under the main level was large enough to slide our Stormcase 2500 under. There was always a cylinder of air available for blowing off housings. The crew was very familiar with cameras. You just set them outside the camera room before the dive and they took them from there. They were also great on producing those tools you just happened to forget, but would not say there is a camera Pro on staff.

Minor Issues
Let’s just get these out of the way. First, being a new boat and made of wood, they are still working a few things out. The main one is a couple of the staterooms had leaks in the ceiling. Our room had about a dozen major leaks. So when it rained the bed had to be covered in plastic, items had to be pulled off one shelf, and well you really did not need to get in the shower to take one in the head. Now that being said, the crew was always on top of it and cut the number of leaks in half by the time we left. I am confident they will have them all gone in the short term.

This is a new boat, route and there were a couple of issues with the dive routine. The main issue is they are still figuring out some of the dive sites. You dive from Pangas, 9 divers per panga. Often they would drop the pangas on opposite ends of the same reef. This typically ended with a large scrum in the middle of the dive and was a bit of a mess. I mentioned this to the crew and they are working on it. The dives where they dropped the groups at different sites went great.

I doubt they will make this mistake again but when you are on your way to a manta cleaning station and you come upon a dozen mantas feeding on the surface you give the divers the option to hop out and snorkel with them. Yes, the surface current may limit some to sitting in the panga but COME ON, 12 Mantas, On The Surface, Feeding!!!! Again mentioned this to the crew and they said was probably a mistake not dropping in.

Last but not least, we had some very bad divers on this trip. Meaning a lot of abuse of the reef via bad buoyancy and photogs trying to get shots they should forego. One being so bad they had to put a DM with her full time to keep her from banging into things. I wish all DMs would go over this more in briefings, and if necessary offer a buoyancy class during the trip.

The Dive Routine
We typically choose live-aboards because they maximize your time underwater. We look for an open dive deck or minimum 4 dives per day. If only doing 4 dives we like them to be in the 75-80minute range and this was typical in Raja. First dive was done before breakfast, my preference. Second dive, lunch, third dive, snack, dusk/night dive than dinner. There where warm water showers, heated towels and neck rubs after every dive. Of course, there were plenty of sinfully good snacks between dives. After night dives, you were also met with a hot cup of cocoa. In general, we got 4 dives in per day with the exception of one day where we dropped a dive to climb to the top of one of the islands to take in the view, and one day due to having to move the boat. Oh by the way, you should definitely climb to the top of the island. It provides quite a view ( it will require some Teva-like sandals at minimum)

With 20 divers aboard, we were broken into 2x10. As usual once you set up your gear the crew handles it from there. Dive briefings where well mapped out and to the point. While some sites did have current, there was nothing that most intermediate divers could not manage. Once you surfaced, the panga was typically right there. You take off all gear in the water and than just climb up the ladder.

The pangas were comfortable and easy to dive from. We can’t recall any rides more than 10 minutes to dive sites, and often just a minute or two. There are two dive guides per panga and they are fantastic at finding the pygmy seahorses and other small creatures I would typically never spot. When there are only 8 of you at a dive site, it is fantastic and once the guides are comfortable with you, they have no problem letting you dive at your own pace. As mentioned they only issue was when they would drop each group at opposite ends of the reef and we would end up with a mass of divers in the middle with some following the wrong guides, etc…. I am confident as they get to know the area more this will be resolved.

Flora and Fauna
The Coral Triangle is famous for its diversity and rightly so. On this trip we saw 3-4 species of pygmy seahorses, in greater numbers than we saw in Lembeh. Most sites you could find everything from large schools to crinoid shrimp. Some of the highlights for us included, large schools of batfish, the largest we have seen anywhere. More crinoid shrimp than I had seen or photographed on all previous trips combined. Other macro stars included hairy squat lobsters, pygmy seahorses (several species), blue ringed octopus, pygmy octopus and many types of nudibranch. Larger creatures included bump head parrot fish, tasseled woebegone sharks, walking epaulette sharks and just about any incredible species of reef fish you could imagine. If you want to see the more bizarre sharks you have to do the night dives, that is when you can see them in the open. We would not call it a “shark rich” area but we did see an occasional white tips and a few grey reefs on several dives.

All of these creatures are hosted in a wonderfully healthy and diverse reef. Soft corals, hard corals, sponges and fans are all there. Raja supplied some of the most “colorful” walls we have ever seen. Great location for those reef, diver, sunball shots. This made some of the drift dives really memorable and night dives boarderd on psychedelic.

In the End
I can’t imagine any diver going to Raja Ampat and not enjoying themselves. The time, money and effort getting there are worth it. While there are many new places we look forward to visiting Raja Ampat has moved to the top of “repeat” list and may put some new destinations on the back burner.

Many thanks MJH. Very timely report as I am on the boat in the near future.

Questions for you:

- To gauge how things might have progressed, when was your trip?

- I haven't used an actual panga. What was the re-entry to the panga? Ladder?

- What was typical dinnertime? Sounds a strange question but a complaint I had on our recent Komodo Dancer trip was they held dinner until after the night dive, so dinner could be at 9:30 PM. That's a long time after a noon lunch and usually meant eat and go to bed. That always makes tough sleeping because it means multiple wake ups for the facilities during the night killing my sleep and eating that late makes me ravenously hungry in the morning for some paradoxical reason. I'm noting your schedule shows snack after dive 3 which wasn't too substantial in Komodo.

- Did you have any "published schedule" for the daily dives? I realize that it's a check the conditions and dive type schedule but that caught me out a few times on the Komodo Dancer, with my camera gear half done and having to be left behind. A basic "try to make" schedule would have helped a lot.

- Who ran the boat? Garry Bevan, a very experienced Brit, ran the boat in Komodo and I see he has provided documentation on the area on the website. He also liked to trek the guests to the top of the mountain in Komodo. :) I skipped the mountain hike in Komodo and didn't miss much except opportunities to skin my leg or twist my ankle according to the participants. Judging by the "aerial" pics I've seen of Raja, I'll be trying to make the hike this time.

- What was the percentage of muck dives out of the total dives? While I like them, the barren bottom except tiny nudi's type aren't so interesting after a while.

- How was the weather?

- I'm not bringing my laptop (leaving the job at home), so do you mean that The Orchid had computers to access the internet or just internet connections?

- Were you able to get out of Sorong the same day then? I'm going in/out through Jakarta.

- So sad about the bad divers. That's always a problem now. Underwater cameras should cost $10,000.

- Last thing: I'm assuming the king bed wasn't in every room?

Did you see they just had a 6.0 earthquake 200 miles from Sorong? I haven't mentioned that to the wife who isn't going...

Sorry for the massive list here...

Martin;

Sounds like quite a trip and I think very high on my list.

Boat I was on in Lemba was new and it too had a bunch of leaks, luckily in our cabin they were just down the walls...

BTW, Peter Hughes only leases/does booking for most of these boats, unless I'm mistaken. Mostly heard good things, but I have heard the quality can vary around different operations.

Jack

Many thanks MJH. Very timely report as I am on the boat in the near future.

Questions for you:

- To gauge how things might have progressed, when was your trip?

We where there January of 2008. So I am confident any "boat" issues they have
resolved by now

- I haven't used an actual panga. What was the re-entry to the panga? Ladder?

Took your gear off in the water and they haul it in then you just go up a ladder in the stern. Very simple and the pangas are quite large.

- What was typical dinnertime? Sounds a strange question but a complaint I had on our recent Komodo Dancer trip was they held dinner until after the night dive, so dinner could be at 9:30 PM. That's a long time after a noon lunch and usually meant eat and go to bed. That always makes tough sleeping because it means multiple wake ups for the facilities during the night killing my sleep and eating that late makes me ravenously hungry in the morning for some paradoxical reason. I'm noting your schedule shows snack after dive 3 which wasn't too substantial in Komodo.

Night dive was around 5:30, 6pm so we recall eating by 7-7:30pm. I know my wife prefers to dive than eat.

- Did you have any "published schedule" for the daily dives? I realize that it's a check the conditions and dive type schedule but that caught me out a few times on the Komodo Dancer, with my camera gear half done and having to be left behind. A basic "try to make" schedule would have helped a lot.

The schedule was fairly set and we had a good idea the day before. But of course currents do effect where you end up. Do to the size of the boat you tend to get to an area and stay there for a couple of dives. We had one spot we wanted to go to and they dropped off everyone else and than ran us over to the other spot. Given this was in an area there was no current. The problem with Raja is the reef is so healthy and has so much diversity every site can have pygmy seahorses and massive schools of X.

- Who ran the boat? Garry Bevan, a very experienced Brit, ran the boat in Komodo and I see he has provided documentation on the area on the website. He also liked to trek the guests to the top of the mountain in Komodo. :) I skipped the mountain hike in Komodo and didn't miss much except opportunities to skin my leg or twist my ankle according to the participants. Judging by the "aerial" pics I've seen of Raja, I'll be trying to make the hike this time.

Not sure who the Captain was but the Cruise Directors were a British woman Wendy and a local DM. Both quite good and responsive to any needs or questions. The hike up the mountain is worth it but have some decent shoes or sandals it is pretty much strait up and you need both hands. On top there is not a lot of room but it really is a great view.

- What was the percentage of muck dives out of the total dives? While I like them, the barren bottom except tiny nudi's type aren't so interesting after a while.

There are not many "true" muck dives, maybe 3. Not what Raja is known for. Of course there are night dives that tend to have some flat sandy places that you do look for the small critters.

- How was the weather?
"Warm to hot the whole time, a little overcast many days with some rain in the late afternoon. But like always it only lasted a little while and then would pass.

- I'm not bringing my laptop (leaving the job at home), so do you mean that The Orchid had computers to access the internet or just internet connections?
Yes they had computers you could sit down at. Maybe you will be lucky and not have any issues.

- Were you able to get out of Sorong the same day then? I'm going in/out through Jakarta.
No we spent the night and the airline paid for it since it was a mechanical problem. We were flying in and out of Singapore if I recall.

- So sad about the bad divers. That's always a problem now. Underwater cameras should cost $10,000.
Well people really just need to realize no picture they are taking is worth harming the subject it was very frustrating to watch.

- Last thing: I'm assuming the king bed wasn't in every room?
I think so or maybe queens but all the rooms were incredible. There was only one "budget" cabin in the bow that had bunks and I think shared a head with the crew.

Did you see they just had a 6.0 earthquake 200 miles from Sorong? I haven't mentioned that to the wife who isn't going...
We saw that and since most of our upcoming trips are to this region we watch for it. Hopefully most will do ok. It is amazing how quickly they recover from these

Sorry for the massive list here...

No worries that is why we are all here. It is a lot of time and money so the more info we all can get out there the better.

Back
Top Bottom