Trip Report Raja Ampat, Live Report, Nov. 7-Dec. 7, 2023

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@living4experiences, your detailed and respectful report of Steve's death is exceptional. The story of the downcurrent and the resulting death of an experienced diver and lovely human would be an asset to anyone who dives, including those who won't be traveling around the world for a liveaboard. Perhaps you could post that portion of your report in the Accidents and Incidents forum, which already has a threat open on this difficult accident; more people will see it there, I suspect, than several pages down in an (excellent) trip report.

Friends were in Komodo over the spring and fell prey to a significant downcurrent; one of them ended up at 120' in what she described as a minute. It ended fine, but she was banged into the cliff and bloodied up. Important stuff to know about.

What dive site did the accident occur at? We encountered a few sites with quite strong, but manageable currents (reef hooked in) on my trip earlier this year.

However, one day many of the tenders passed on the planned site (Nudi Rock) as it was very obviously swirling/chaotic looking on the surface as we approached it. Instead, we hit an adjacent site and had a fantastic, more relaxed dive (amazing coral and life and had a manta swim by).

Those that did dive Nudi Rock that day questioned their decision back on the boat as they said it was a washing machine - up/down/left/right currents and very unpredictable - plus they did not see anything really special that made it worth the hassle.
In all the chaos, I just don't remember, but it was something Wau or Wah.

Our dive at Nudi Rock was excellent and calm both on the surface and underwater.

In all the chaos, I just don't remember, but it was something Wau or Wah.

Our dive at Nudi Rock was excellent and calm both on the surface and underwater.
Thanks - current intensity clearly depends on the tides for many of these sites so you never know until you check predive. Safe travels!

Thanks - current intensity clearly depends on the tides for many of these sites so you never know until you check predive. Safe travels!

We use this:

@Dan every time I have been on the Damai they tell you in the briefing that they won't come knock on your door to wake you up unless you tell them to. ex. I don't want to miss a dive so wake me up! So that might be why they didn't wake him or knock on the door.

Great report @living4experiences ... I am happy that you were able to really see and experience Raja (the good and unfortunately the bad), and you still want to come back to Indo. I spend a huge amount of time in Indo and every time I come home I start planning the next trip!

Thank you for finishing the great trip report. Can’t imagine having someone from the boat die during a dive, that must have been such a traumatic experience. So sorry it happened for you.
Still it sounds like you had a lot of good experiences in the area - I’m very envious. Have only been to R4 once on a week lob, certainly not enough time. Dreaming of being able to do 3-4 weeks and reports like yours almost makes me feel I was there.
Hope you had a nice flight(s) nome.
Thanks again!

@living4experiences, your detailed and respectful report of Steve's death is exceptional. The story of the downcurrent and the resulting death of an experienced diver and lovely human would be an asset to anyone who dives, including those who won't be traveling around the world for a liveaboard. Perhaps you could post that portion of your report in the Accidents and Incidents forum, which already has a threat open on this difficult accident; more people will see it there, I suspect, than several pages down in an (excellent) trip report.

Here’s the thread in the Accidents and Incidents forum that specifically discussed the accident:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom