Raja Ampat Land Based Rooms Less Buggy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For those of you who have been to Raja Ampat land based resorts, which rooms tend to be a bit less buggy in terms of insects -- rooms on the beach or over the water?

Is there also a time of year when it's a bit less buggy too? I know it's the remote tropics but any differences would be welcome in my view.

It depends on the proximity of the rooms near flora I think. If closer to the jungle, there will be more bugs. When we went to Misool Resort, we stayed in both over the water and the beach side. Over the water had less bugs. The bugs weren't too bad at the beach one, but the original room we had, that was described as being part of the jungle had the most.

In total I've been staying for 3 weeks in RA in low budget homestay in Gam - 1 week in a land bungalow and 2 weeks in a beach bungalow (touched by water during high tide but not totally over it) .
I didn't have a single issue with insects other than seeing some strange ones (spiders, beetles etc occasionally of the bigger size) here and there - mainly outside the room. BTW I didn't see a single mosquito throughout my stay!
Keep in mind, although insects were not a problem, several times small crabs seemed to be interested to my presence during the night. In one particular case I fount 3 of them on or around my bed inside the mosquito net simultaneously in what it seemed like a coordinated "attack"!!

Back
Top Bottom