Raja Ampat advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was on the Paradise Dancer last April. No mosquitos on the boat, but Sorong is a hotbed for malaria, so you should probably not take a chance. Malarone seems to have few side effects. I took it with no problems.

You will love the boat and the diving. A high-class liveaboard...you will have a hard time in the future finding another one that's as nice as this.
RXMASKS

thanks to all for the very valuable info. still have not selected a hotel or area in Bali, so further insights would be appreciated.
Harvey

What everyone else said, except malaria is a possibility on land (I got two bites sleeping in the hotel) though mosquitos didn't typically make it out to the boat though we anchored relatively close to land.

You shouldn't need much/any money on the boat as we didn't stop anywhere for land tours or visits.

I'd suggest Nitrox for the extra safety factor.

Unless you are ready to dive right into Indonesia food, then bring something like oatmeal or something you like for your first breakfast in the hotel. Food is excellent on board, with mostly Western but with more and more Indonesian flare as you go on. Enjoy the spam sandwich or KFC on the flight to Sorong.

Bring an open mind.

Definitely get a guide and driver. Likely any decent size hotel can suggest one. You'll see much more and get a lot of info. Ours charged $40 for the whole day. We gave him $60. In addition to where you want to go, they will take you to the wood carvers, stone carvers, and silversmiths, that they know, but, they do have excellent quality.

We stayed in Kuta which is in the city near the beaches. You can also stay out further such as Ubud, where the rice terraces are. You can see the monkey Forest, which is good if there aren't many people around to get them excited. Remember, the monkey touches you, you don't touch the monkey.

Everyone has their favorite hotel if you go to Ubud. Here's Trip Advisor's page with ratings for Ubud hotels.

Ubud Hotels: Read Ubud Hotel Reviews and Compare Prices - TripAdvisor

Since we watch the $$ carefully, we stayed in #3, Tegal Sari. They are here ...

Welcome to Tegal Sari

My recommendation ... the wooden room, upstairs, first building beyond swimming pool. Looks over the rice fields to the Monkey Forest. You can hear the monkeys when they start making a racket, and the gamelan music from the temple in the forest. Free shuttle into town center, which is also a very interesting 15 minute walk.

Go see the Kecak dance, or the Legong. Front desk will give you info and shuttle you there and back. Take the Campuhan Ridge walk between the two river gorges. Start at the old temple north of the Campuhan bridge, following the path around the temple and up onto the ridge. This is a well-known walk that anyone can point out to you.

Hire a driver to take you north through Bedugul (visit the market and the temple on the lake) and beyond, over the ridge between the crater lakes, and down to Singaraja and then back to Ubud. Probably about $40-$45 for the day. Again, ask the front desk.

We've started several Indo dive trips with 3-5 days in Ubud, and would do it again.

Enjoy!

The Rp150,000 is the international departure tax
most airports for the domestic is Rp 30,000
Medical precautions - make sure you have insurance and it covers you - remember the most expensive part is if you ever need to be evacuated.

Credit cards are fine use the ATM's. Be careful have been some scams run at ATMs in the past.

If you are bring cash make sure that there are no serial numbers staring with CB and that the notes are newer than 1997 otherwise they will not be accepted (also no stamps and or writing on the notes as well as any small tears etc.)
Kuta central exchange will give you a far better rate that the street vendors.

Bali lots places to stay and see. depends on what you want. certainly a lot of info has already been posted on the board concerning this. Ulawatu, Tanah Lot, UBUD,

Just read your posting and I will be on the Paradise Dancer 3/6 -3/17. I am still undecided about Malarone - there are mixed reports about whether it is necessary.
I do like diving nitrox and most folks on liveaboards use nitrox.

I was in Wakatobi last year and loved it. I had a stop over in Bali and if you have the time i'd recommend a few days there.

Perhaps I will see you in RA.
jeff

i will be leaving as you arrive. perhaps we will meet in the Sorong airport.
i decided to take the Malarone 3 days before leaving for Indonesia (as prescribed). if no adverse side effects i will continue, if unpleasant i will stop and take my chances
i did become Nitrox certified and will breathe extra oxygen.
made a reservation for 2 nts. at Tegal Sari in Ubud as i arrive (see highdesert above - thanks high desert). still do not have a hotel for last nt as i leave.
have a GREAT trip
Harvey

Let me start by saying what a great trip you will have on the Paradise Dancer!
We were onboard in November of 09 and it was fantastic! We did not take malarone and we are fine! I had large bills that were from the year 2004 and up and had no marks on them etc. I spent a lot of time at our local bank before our trip getting "perfect" bills to change in Indonesia! I walked into town from the Je Meridian and 2 banks would not take my bills because they had small crease marks on them! I ended up using the ATM at one of the banks and had no problems getting money that way. The girl who refused my nice bills even came outside and helped me with the ATM. Very nice people there!

We stayed at the Tegal Sari in Ubud on the way back and it was a wonderful hotel.
They will shuttle you into Ubud and even pick you up if you want a ride back. We rode in and walked back. There is a fantastic store for silver right on the corner up from the monkey forest that you will pass if you end up walking back from town! Don't carry anything into the monkey forest! They( the monkeys) will "attack!!!" They got my brand new water bottle from me and kind of freaked me out a little bit. They are very agressive, so beware! Make sure you book a massage by the pool at the Tegal Sari . In Nov.09 we paid $7 for a full hour fantastic massage! We loved it there and spent time on our little patio watching the workers tend the rice paddies right outside our room. We had a wooden room that was upstairs right next to the pool.

Have a great time!!!

just rec'd an e-mail from the Tegal Sari hotel apologizing that they are overbooked and do not presently have a room for my dates. i am looking for an alternate hotel. disappointed since it was so recommended
Harvey

Make sure you have at least a day between the end of the PD trip and leaving Bali for home. Takes very little to miss that flight and domestic air travel within Indonesia is not known for its "on time" record.

Otherwise it is a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom