Trip Report Raja Ampat 10-Night Indo-Siren Liveaboard Dec. 2 – 12, 2022 Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll echo all the above, What an incredible trip report. I know how long they take to write and yours shows the quality and details needed for a person making a bucket list decision. I completely enjoyed reading it !!
5 star report !!

Stars.jpg

I'd read someone else mention pre-paying (but being unable to actually do it); I looked for the option online at Batik Air and couldn't find it. In today's world where many of us carry little portable electronic luggage scales, I'd have taken advantage of that if I could.

Richard.
On our trip in late September we could not pay online, Batik's website would let us get all the way to check out but then not accept payment. All six in our group tried with the same result. Then their card reader was not working at the time so could not pay by credit card at the airport.

I have noticed over last 10 yrs 15L tank have became quite common from some operators(LoB/land based) in SE Asia. Need to ask/reserve ahead.
For SM or BP/W divers, hire a extra tank but do need to bring your own rigging.

@drrich2 - did you have any trouble uploading your vaccine cards to PeduliLindungi app? I tried this morning and received an error that the dates don't match. But they do match, but my CDC cards are in US mm/dd/yyyy - which might the the issue (just guessing).

You can contact the app's support department if you have problems. They replied to me within a few days.

Even if your vaccination records are still pending approval, you won't have a problem. The only time the app was checked was at the ticket counter when departing the US. My app was never checked in Indonesia.

Bring records of your vaccinations though, as in records not inside PeduliLindungi. I brought my CDC card.

The baggage weight issue on the Indonesian airline sounds like it could add significant cost to a diver's trip.

Garuda has a generous baggage policy for divers. You're allowed a 23 kg bag because it qualifies as sporting equipment. Check with Garuda for details.

When departing Sorong, the ticket agent asked to take a photo of the contents of my bag to verify it was indeed scuba equipment. She saw my fins and said all was fine.

Garuda might also be more reliable than the discount carriers.

@drrich2 I am so happy to hear you had a great time. I know how much research you put into it and it sounds like it paid off for you. Your trip report will be very valuable to others wanting to experience Indo for the first time. You are not alone in bumping your head in the hobbit lounge! Sorry to hear you had engine problems but hey at least you didn't sink so winner winner!

FYI In regards to pre-purchasing baggage, I always use an agent or the LOB to book my domestic flights. I learned a hard lesson and have seen a few people really get screwed when they booked their own flights. The agent always knows when a flight gets cancelled and/or changed and they will fix whatever needs fixing. They will also buy the extra baggage for you ahead of time. I have seen people almost miss trips or get incredibly delayed when flights have gone awry so even if there is a booking/office fee I pay it willingly. I have too much riding on trips to Indonesia. I also have had more delays and cancellations with Garuda then Batik or Lion... now maybe this is because I have flown them more but I have spent many hours in the airport enjoying their little "Uh Oh" snack packs that come out when the flight is delayed for too long. When you see them wheeling the little carts out you know you will probably miss your connection if you have one.

You can contact the app's support department if you have problems. They replied to me within a few days.

Even if your vaccination records are still pending approval, you won't have a problem. The only time the app was checked was at the ticket counter when departing the US. My app was never checked in Indonesia.

Bring records of your vaccinations though, as in records not inside PeduliLindungi. I brought my CDC card.
Thanks - I did use the chat feature in the app to ask them why it showed my vaccine as "rejected" with a reason of "Incorrect 1st, 2nd, 3rd vaccination date. Please fill in the correct vaccination date." The support contact said "...we inform you the verification process for overseas vaccinaton data will take 3 to 5 working days..."

Did your US departure counter check the app to see if status was "green" or whatever it will show once the card is verified?

Did your US departure counter check the app to see if status was "green" or whatever it will show once the card is verified?

No, the United counter did not check my vaccination record status. Some in our group still had that "pending". However, "rejected" seems like something you should fix. Just try again, I guess. I just uploaded a photo of my CDC card. It's easy to get the date incorrect, but you've probably already thought about that.

Basically the app is not a big deal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom