Raising the Dead.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA:
Wow. It is a remarkable story.

The only thing that I can think of after watching the video is: I could see Dreyer's mask in the video. If Dreyer's body was free from the muck, why not grab his head, inflate Dreyer's drysuit or wing so that the rest of the body goes up, and then leave?

martini effect.... 6,8,10?

it's amazing a person could even function at that depth, as in checking the guages, using sizzors, but it did seem he was getting more dis-functional rather quickly.

scubatexastony:
martini effect.... 6,8,10?

it's amazing a person could even function at that depth, as in checking the guages, using sizzors, but it did seem he was getting more dis-functional rather quickly.

The heavy breathing causing co2 build up...big factor.

Intense and sad story

Incredible story, thank you for posting the link.
If nothing else it has helped reafirm for me that I have noooooo interest in doing deep cave dives.

DivingCRNA:
The only thing that I can think of after watching the video is: I could see Dreyer's mask in the video. If Dreyer's body was free from the muck, why not grab his head, inflate Dreyer's drysuit or wing so that the rest of the body goes up, and then leave?

Since it was a media event, Dave wanted the body to be brought out encased in a body bag out of respect for the family of Deon.

I read the story in Aug. of '05 when a friend gave me his copy of the mag since he knew I was interested in extreme diving. We were on our way down to Tavernier to dive the Grove and I made him drive while I read it. I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole weekend.

It really pisses me off that the video got put on the web. It should never have gotten out. The dive should be studied for the mistakes that were made so things can be learned from it, but to post the actual video of Dave's last moments is akin to people stopping at the scene of a vehicle accident to gawk at the misery and mayhem.
Out of respect for Dave Shaw and his family, I will never watch it.

diversolo:
Since it was a media event, Dave wanted the body to be brought out encased in a body bag out of respect for the family of Deon.

I read the story in Aug. of '05 when a friend gave me his copy of the mag since he knew I was interested in extreme diving. We were on our way down to Tavernier to dive the Grove and I made him drive while I read it. I couldn't stop thinking about it the whole weekend.

It really pisses me off that the video got put on the web. It should never have gotten out. The dive should be studied for the mistakes that were made so things can be learned from it, but to post the actual video of Dave's last moments is akin to people stopping at the scene of a vehicle accident to gawk at the misery and mayhem.

Yeah...I know what you mean. I watched it once to see what there was to learn. But I work in operating rooms and have plenty of occassion to see bad things that I do not want to see. There is no reason to see it again.

it sounds like a diver has to go through a bottle neck to get to the deepest part of this dive. Dreyer and Shaws bodies did not bob to the sureface, they got hung up at 60 metres. But there was no way for Shaw to know that would happen, I guess. Especially as narced as he had to be.

diversolo:

If I remember right .. ( I will look for the story ) the family ok'd the release of the video. I saw it on TV !!

Also this is an older story ... the video was released and played on ABC TV.

Here's a portion of a release story ..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Video reveals diver's final moments

14may05

AMONG the dive gear, gas tanks, computers and lights that expert cave diver Dave Shaw carried during his final, fatal, descent, a tiny helmet-mounted camera proved to be the most valuable piece of equipment.

The video camera, contained in a custom-made aluminium housing designed to withstand incredible water pressure, provided investigators with vital clues as to why Mr Shaw perished at the bottom of Bushman's Cave in Northern Cape, South Africa, on January 8.

The remarkable pictures, to be screened for the first time on ABC TV's Australian Story this Monday, show Mr Shaw becoming entangled in a line guiding him to the cave bottom, and fumbling to release himself as the timeframe for his safe return to the surface expired.

An airline pilot by profession, 50-year-old Mr Shaw - who was originally from Perth but had been based in Hong Kong since 1989 - took up scuba diving just seven years ago.

However, with his irrepressible urge to "push the boundaries", he became a world champion in the extreme sport of technical diving, in which divers use rebreathers to recirculate exhaled air at great depths.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bob

reference = http://www.underwatertimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1294

This was an amazing story, well written. I'm glad I got a chance to read it. Thanks for posting the link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom