Raising the Dead.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulSmithTek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Has anyone read the August 2005 Outdoors Magazine Story about the Body recovery from over 800 feet. Raising the Deadis such a great story, very sad but very intriguing about people that push the limits not just for themselves or the depths but for lost divers. Warning this is a very long story. But please read it all the way through it is quick reading. Then post your opinions, on what you read. I also have the story in PDF format if you would like it emailed to you, PM me.

At first glance it looks like a very powerful story. Thanks for the link. I won't have a chance to read it all until later in the weekend.

PM's being send as we speak.

Wow! That is strange that would be released!

The video was released quite a while ago and there was a heated discussion going on at the time. The accident, mistakes and problems that lead up to it likewise. The story is haunting, isn't it.

After reading the story, I can't watch the clip....So incredibly sad....

Wow. It is a remarkable story.

Before I say anything else I want to make the following disclaimer: I do not dive a rebreather, I am not a cave diver, and I am not professing expertise in technical diving.

I have read most of non-fiction books on diving in extreme conditions (Shadow Divers, Deep Descent, Dark Descent, The Last Dive, etc...).

This accident seems somewhat representative of how divers die in extreme diving. There was a variation from the plan of the dive (the body floated up) and things came unraveled from that point on. Narcosis and unforseen events can and do kill divers that do these dives. They know it when they get in the water.

Heck, I have personally seen things get hairy at 100 feet without an overhead environment.

At least Shirley did not die too, trying to go after Shaw. Shirley barely survived as it was.

The only thing that I can think of after watching the video is: I could see Dreyer's mask in the video. If Dreyer's body was free from the muck, why not grab his head, inflate Dreyer's drysuit or wing so that the rest of the body goes up, and then leave?

But that question is asked from the safety of dry land on the other side of the world over a year after the fact....

It is a tragedy, no doubt. The kind of thing my wife never needs to read if I am going to keep diving. Thank you for posting the link.

Back
Top Bottom