Rainbow Reef Dive Center buys Ocean Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are a business. They run to the places that will get folks on the boats. If other trips would pull in divers they would run to them. Horizon seemed more advanced than either Ocean or Rainbow. Which is fine with me I am a pretty fishy sort of diver.

I'm hoping for more, and more frequent, advanced dives, doubles on the wrecks, deep drifts...

Why would you expect them to offer anything different? Ocean Divers seems to have always been the more "wreck conscious" operation with their triple wreck dives and regular double dips on the area wrecks including as far south as the Eagle. Rainbow Reef mostly does the shallow reefs and when they do a wreck its almost always the SG and it's never a double dip. I know the Eagle isn't on their regular schedule and I don't think they dive the Bibb all that often either.

I emailed some of my dive buddies after I read about the acquisition. One of them just replied with this:

"I read the Mergers and Acquisitions document they used to file with the SEC. They actually mentioned that fact. Apparently we are a 'top tier client' "

I guess they like us!

I'll post that document if he sends it to me if it's of any interest.

EDITED TO ADD

He just emailed me back said he was kidding. I totally fell for it.

Last edited:
Once divers direct bought od they were never the same.

Why would you expect them to offer anything different? Ocean Divers seems to have always been the more "wreck conscious" operation with their triple wreck dives and regular double dips on the area wrecks including as far south as the Eagle. Rainbow Reef mostly does the shallow reefs and when they do a wreck its almost always the SG and it's never a double dip. I know the Eagle isn't on their regular schedule and I don't think they dive the Bibb all that often either.
Fine, set your sights low, I set mine high

Didn't think the purpose of this thread was to bash Ocean Divers. My experiences with them have been positive including my last dive with them a few months ago and the overwhelmingly positive reviews they have received over the past few years seems to indicate that my views are shared by most who cared enough to actually leave a review. In fact if you read the small handful of negative reviews they are clearly written by divers who don't have a clue as to their own level of responsibility as a certified diver. For example a constant theme in those negative reviews are "the water was too rough" or "they didn't put a guide in the water with us". I'd rather go with a dive operation that is more willing to get out there so I don't lose a dive day and I never expect a guide to take me by the hand and lead me around. Those that expect it clearly don't understand the meaning of their C-card.

Fine, set your sights low, I set mine high

We all have different levels of expectation and satisfaction, I totally get that. I'm simply providing my personal experiences with these dive operations which have been quite favorable.

Why might it make a difference?

Let's say each one independently is try to handle the same overall market, one with 3 boats and the other with 2. That market is, say, 80% basic diving, 15% more advanced, and 5% tech. They are obviously going to favor the 85% basic market in their scheduling, leaving the more advanced divers out. Let's say they are only able to fill boats to 2/3 capacity that way.

If instead they have 5 boats, they can fill as many as needed for basic dives and have a boat or 2 left over for more advanced diving.

I am not saying that is what will happen, but that is what COULD happen.

I'll be diving with RR next month. I believe one trip I booked was a double on the SG. I've never dove with them before so I won't be able to give a comparison and I did consider other operators, but since I'm a solo diver I figured I rather buddy up with a free guide rather than someone I may not be happy about diving with.

Didn't think the purpose of this thread was to bash Ocean Divers. My experiences with them have been positive including my last dive with them a few months ago and the overwhelmingly positive reviews they have received over the past few years seems to indicate that my views are shared by most who cared enough to actually leave a review. In fact if you read the small handful of negative reviews they are clearly written by divers who don't have a clue as to their own level of responsibility as a certified diver. For example a constant theme in those negative reviews are "the water was too rough" or "they didn't put a guide in the water with us". I'd rather go with a dive operation that is more willing to get out there so I don't lose a dive day and I never expect a guide to take me by the hand and lead me around. Those that expect it clearly don't understand the meaning of their C-card.

We all have different levels of expectation and satisfaction, I totally get that. I'm simply providing my personal experiences with these dive operations which have been quite favorable.
I'm not bashing OD, always had a good experience with them prior to 2009. I live and dive in SE FL now

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom