rain-x as a mask defog

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't speak for RainX, but as for putting odd substances in your mask...

I was trying out some new defog, which resembles and smells like Dial soap. Apparently I left a tiny dribble of high-defog-content water left in the bottom of my mask after I rinsed it...later in the dive I looked up, the defog/water mix went up my nose, and had the effect of a mild 'caustic coctail'. Imagine snorting Dial soap at 90 feet...VERY bad deal... So the moral of the story is, be aware of how the stuff in your mask can affect you, and use common sense.

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess the mask defogging thing will always be debated. I seem to have a little more trouble than most. I have to scrub my mask with tooth past and let it dry. Then use de-fog and let it dry. And then try to rinse it just enough with out washing it all out, and then never take it off my head until the dive is over, and hope that it last that long. Then the next dive it starts all over again.
Spit works a little for me but not much. I use the water in the mask trick alot too, but my mask fogs in about 15 or 20 seconds, so it's a constant battle.
So if I could find a simpler method that worked consistently, I would sure use it.

Steve

Ok so this is the second thread about mask defogging. Why is this such a hot topic? I can't even begin to imagine why you would use glass cleaner, apples, soap, baby shampoo, ect...

IT IS REALLY SIMPLE USE SPIT OR MASK DEFOG

Are people sooooooo bored that this is the insignificant details we need to discuss???? Perhaps next we could discuss other important topics like O2 cleaning your mask!!!

Rain-x makes an anti-fog product and a rain sheeting product.

I don’t know about the rain sheeting product but the anti-fog solution is basically soap and alcohol.

It would work just like any other mask defogging solution.

No rocket science going on here. Just making the glass clean.

I don’t see any reason that the Rain-x Anti-Fog solution wouldn’t work just fine.

Jeffrey

Steve, you shouldn't be having that much trouble.

Assuming the lens is glass & not polycarb, take some Soft Scrub & paper towels. Scrub the snot out of it (inside) 4 or 5 times, get the silicone off the glass. If you don't do that you will never keep it from fogging & that may well be your problem.

Once that is done, just about anything will work. Commercial anti fog products, though that's the most expensive. $8 for a tiny bottle is expensive. Spit is cheapest, can be hard to come by if you get dry mouth, particularly for repetetive drives.

Toothpaste is just about as cheap, it's what I use. I use it bc 2 dive masters I dive with have used it for years. I tried it, it works.

A tube of Pepsodent is $0.97 at Walmart.

Before each dive rinse the mask out. Rub a little toothpaste all over the inside of the lens. Rinse it out & dive. Don't let it dry out, just do this right before hitting the water. Works fine.

Back
Top Bottom