Rain, rain, go away!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... when the bow of the boat went under water three times just getting out of the harbor, they decided to give up...

I know that was a year ago, but it sounds like Tuesday morning when we sat on the boat at Kihei boat ramp waiting for the sun to come up - saw two boats go out... after watching them the captain called the dive - a few minutes later one of those boats radioed in that they were returning ...

btw - rained almost all day yesterday in Lahaina, and really hard most of the night ... good time to be stuck in bed with a cold... can't dive anyway :wink: sry for the rest of ya' though

Aloha, Tim

lots of rain and damage here. Had a river running thru the side yard that was never there before. But the waterfalls coming down the mountains are just amazing! I think there were at least 50 of them last night coming down the H3 on the Kaneohe/Kailua side.

Hubby was driving home from work and made it to Laie and had to turn around because of the flooding. Took him 2 hours to get home.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

moved to our topside topics forum Talk Story

Kona report.... Thursday was soaking wet and nasty swell from the south.... Friday was pretty dry as far as rain goes but nasty surf coming from straight west had us deciding to cancel.... Saturday was gorgeous weather, pretty choppy but diveable water conditions in the morning improving as the day went on.... 6:30 am today we've got rain down in south Kona, I'm hoping it's better up Kailua was as we have a charter.

I dove both Thursday and Friday at 2 Step.

I should have my head examined. :no:

Swell looks down considerably. Not raining up here near "town" - yet, anyway.

Diving still pretty much shut down here in Kauai although it appears we might have a reprieve from the bad weather early this week (Mon-Tues) before the next round rolls in. We'll see...

Today Molokini was excellent as usual, even though it was raining pretty heavily for a while around the 6:30AM check-in time and there was a couple of brief periods of heavy rain and lightning a couple hours before that. Large wind waves were coming in from the SSW, so the backwall was not diveable. The rain from last Thursday has caused the Molokini vegatation to flourish, and most of the islet was green for a change -- as Kim described the islet "MoloChia. Just like a Chia Pet".

Ed Robinsons ran only one boat today. 1st dive was a reverse (clockwise) drift on Reef's End, although it turned out once in the water that the current was in the normal direction, although weak. So we just swam into it.

The sun started to appear towards the end of the first dive and was sunny off and on for the rest of the morning.

2nd dive was pretty much a complete circuit of Center Reef. Live drop into the sand channel to the east of Center Reef. Up the sand channel to the deep dropoff, then on around to the sand channel between Center Reef and inside Reef's End. After puttering around Taco Flats for a while and then checking out a Freckled Snake Eel in the sand, we went back north up the center of Center Reef. Live pickup pretty much in the center of Center Reef.

Viz was down a bit .. about 100-150' on the outside, about 100' inside the crater.

We hugged the shore on the run out, and stopped at Red Hill to check conditions. One diver cautioned the Captain that there were some snorklers over near the rocks. A couple minutes later someone figured out that it wasn't snorkler fins, but were the wings of two eagle rays that were mating right at the surface. They kept right at it even when we brought the boat up 30' away.

The short run from Red Hill to Molokini wasn't too bad even though we were nearly broadside to 5-6' wind waves. On the way back to Kihei we took a bit of spray now and then and did a lot of wallowing in the following seas.

----

ProDiver also went to the crater this morning. B&B was also out today, but I didn't see where they went. As on most Sundays, Mike Severns didn't have a trip scheduled.

Charlie

Kauai is hopefully drying out.
I live way west side and they closed the 'ONLY' road out to that side and we were stuck out there all afternoon until this morning.
The news reported a tornado sighting in Kekeha and towards Ele'Ele! I had a friend tell me a couple of trees went whipping by his back window. Crazy!!
Today the result is mud everywhere, still lots of water on the side of the roads but thankfully no flooded roads. Trees are down everywhere, power is back on and so far Kauai has faired pretty well.
Na Pali boat charters did go out this afternoon but no diving yet. Water is still very dirty and pretty trashy.
Tomorrow morning Aquatic Adventures and possible a few other divers from other outfits are meeting at our favorite dive site (Koloa Landing) again to clean it up. Last week a bunch of divers got together and got it pretty cleaned (7 truck loads of stuff). But thanks to this awful storm this weekend, the dive site needs some TLC.
*check out of blog/pics at Aquatic Adventures
If anyone is on island and wants to help out, we will be down there about 8am.

The rest of you that are on other islands and able to get in the water, please send us some pics to remind us what diving looks like. We have been out the water for too long.

-Happy Diving

Raining off and on for the past week here on Oahu, too. As luck would have it, I'm usually biking somewhere when it starts to downpour. When the rain hits, I either catch up on reports (Icky!) or dive Port Lock on an incoming tide. Sometimes the tide washes clean oceanic water through all of the muck there, although with the amount of muck in the water now, I wonder if even port lock will be clean.

Koloa Landing still out.
I am getting a dive in tomorrow at Prince Kuhio to check out conditions.

This will be my last dive for 2 weeks!!! Off to the mainland on Thursday for Christmas with the family. Think warm thoughts for me next week, while I am freezing in Northern California!

Oh and for those of you who saw my 'Dive Master finished' post. Well I got the word today, PADI has processed my paperwork and my card is in the mail!!!!

Come visit Kauai for the New Year and lets go diving!!!!

You guys should hop a flight and come on down to Maui. Lots of room on the boats -- they have been running about 1/2 capacity. Lots of room to lounge around where there are only 5 or 6 passengers on a boat designed for 12.

A beautiful day. Near flat ocean with just a mild long period rolling swell. No wind waves in Maalaea Bay/Molokini area as what little wind we had was out of the east. Mostly sunny, with just a few passing cloudes. Whales out in force. Heard a dolphin inside Molokini crater, but didn't see it underwater although the captain of our boat saw it on the surface near where we were diving.

A beautiful sunrise over Haleakala this morning, although the crew of Mike Severns said it didn't match the from yesterday morning that they were raving over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom