Race Rocks, Victoria BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharkmasterbc

Contributor
Reaction score
What an epic dive...felt like I was in the nemo movie, the part where the turtles were in the EAC "the swirling vortex of death"

Sweet currents, shallow bottom (60 ft), nice back eddie to take you around for another go at it, or just ride out the current for a while... we had a visit from the sea lion at our safety stop and the vis was 40 ft +

I was told (by the boat captain) that diving around sea lions during mating season is not a good idea...he said there was only one incident in the past 2 years where one was biting a guy's hood......maybe he was talking about your buddy ????

sharkmasterbc:
I was told (by the boat captain) that diving around sea lions during mating season is not a good idea...he said there was only one incident in the past 2 years where one was biting a guy's hood......maybe he was talking about your buddy ????
It was last October. The ones in this group at the Race Rocks were not mating. They were apparently mostly juvenile and a few adult males. One bit me on the head and a few on the legs. Other divers were getting bit on the legs and arms. Our fins and hoses were getting tugged on as well. None of the bites punctured the skin or exposure suits, but they definitely hurt! One guy complained that his (not in use) pee valve bolt was loosened so water got in :11:

I've had many sea lion encounters in Alaska and rarely have a problem. Sometimes the females get curious and playful, but never aggresive. I've had some threatening looks from the big males and been harrassed by the bachelors behind the Seward Sea Life Center, though.

I've been there several times and the sea lions have always been "attacking". Usually the first indication I had of them being around was a yanking on my fins. They often tug and "bite" on my hood and b.c. or bump my shoulder. Face it, if they really wanted to screw me up, I wouldn't be here today. They were just playful and curious. Every time I've been there, I've also seen one or two elephant seals on the rocks, but never any underwater. I've heard they are more aggressive, but maybe that's just another one of those "octopus are out to kill you" stories.

I live across the straight from Race Rocks and have done at least 20 dives there. The sea lions are playful and not afraid of contact with divers.

It can scare the c__p out of you if the come up from behind, fin nip, "bark" in your face, or go for the hood, but I've never had any injury or seen anyone with an injury.

They are big, they are fast, and they are fun! IMO.

Race Rock- ROCKS!

shep

I was with a group of 8 divers at Race Rocks in August 2003. My husband and I were not touched by the sea lions although they were all around us, and very curious. It was fantastic. All of the other divers in the group were pummeled and nipped. We did not stay together as a group, rather we stayed in pairs. I don't know why we weren't picked on. One sea lion swam straight towards me, and I looked him/her right in the eye! He/she veared off just inches from my face! We were the only divers wearing trilaminate suits; everyone else had neoprene drysuits. I don't know what other possible difference there could be. All pairs of divers were couples (male and female).

Our second dive was in a back eddy, and we held hands and flew along, like Peter Pan. It was absolutely amazing.

I love Race Rocks. The boat ride can be very rough though. I would only want to go in decent weather.

We were out to Race Rocks in November. What a great dive. First dive, out front of the light house, we had about a dozen and a half female Sea Lions in the water at one point with us. We were in pairs and no-one had any mishaps. Houvering at about ten or fifteen feet off the bottom we had them all around us. It was a flerry of motion out of them, swimming around us, twisting and turning. It was magnificant, to be in the water with them. Second dive, that day was on one of the other islets, it was cool but nowhere near as cool as the first. It was wild surfacing at the end of the dive though, I came up out of the water about five feet away from a couple of big ( and I do mean BIG ) bulls that were about two or three feet from the water. Seeing them with their heads up in the air roaring, with their eyes on you is quite the experience, I'll tell you. It gives meaning to wishing you were somewhere esle. All in all what a great day it was. All eight divers in our group felt the same way, just say when the next trip is and we'll all be there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom