R109 Adjustable question for "usual suspects"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope you don't mind I add another question. For R109 (unbalanced), is there a rebuild manual available online to download? Particularly tips and advice on adjusting cracking pressure and proper lever height. I'm also looking for a cross-sectional diagram similar to the one below if available particularly where the lever engages the poppet stem detail.

Thank you.

I have not seen a manual for this reg.... it may exist, but I have not found it yet when searching online... the good news is this is a regulator that does not really need one. It is about as simple as it gets internally.

Couv has a really nice annotated parts diagram he has posted for the R109 (an other scubapro regs).

Any of the regulars here can probably give you a one minute walk through on how to tune it (should be same basic procedure as most barrel poppet seconds).

Good luck and Best Wishes.

Now I can see from the photo of the three levers that most of mine are the middle one, not the one on the right. I've never had a problem with either the G250 poppet or the G200 (duro) poppet.

There are advantages to converting it to balanced, as there are leaving it unbalanced. The nice thing about the unbalanced duro poppet, is (as you said) rebuilds consist of 2 o-rings and a new seat every other time. If you convert it, you'll need to buy a rivet seat (probably $4 or so) and find those tiny o-rings for the balance chamber. There's a thread for that, too, that you might remember.

Depending on your first stage, it will breathe really similarly balanced or unbalanced. Personally, I've found my balanced ones are a little smoother, but others say they can't tell a difference and I believe them.

Thanks matt!

I was concerned about possible lever compatibility problems, but it sounds like I should be "ok" going S-wing or Duro with the lever I have.

Best wishes.

Hope you don't mind I add another question. For R109 (unbalanced), is there a rebuild manual available online to download? Particularly tips and advice on adjusting cracking pressure and proper lever height. I'm also looking for a cross-sectional diagram similar to the one below if available particularly where the lever engages the poppet stem detail.

Thank you.

DA wrote a piece about the R108; mentally add the adjustment knob and you're about there; just turn the knob all the way out when you tuning.

Edit
OOPS, sorry, I overlooked the fact the 108 is a classic downstream design, so you'll have to mentally substitute the barrel poppet of the G250. It's actually easier to adjust, provided you have the right lever with the right poppet, see this thread.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom