Quiz - Skills & Environment - Overweighted Diver

When a diver is overweighted, the diver will:

• a. find it easier to make a safety stop at the end of the dive.

• b. find it easier to take underwater photographs because he/she can rest on the bottom.

• c. move less efficiently through the water because more air must be added to the BCD to compensate

• d. both a and b are correct.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This analogy avoids the question of where to put one's mask by encouraging divers to wear their masks for the entire duration of their dives--from splash to feet dry. If it's uncomfortable, find a mask that fits or learn to adjust the one you have. If it's fogging up, learn to clean and treat it properly. If you need to take it off to rinse it or to re-apply de-fogger, keep it in your hands until you've done so and then put it back on your face.
My mask has a fairly strong prescription built in. I find it best while suiting up to put the mask on when I take the glasses off. I leave the mask on throughout checks, entry, dive, exit. On shore dives I take it off when I'm back at the vehicle and can put on my glasses. The mask fits and I don't find it uncomfortable to wear for an hour or more. I do get a lot of questions from others who don't know me but after explaining the situation it makes sense to them.

My mask has a fairly strong prescription built in. I find it best while suiting up to put the mask on when I take the glasses off. I leave the mask on throughout checks, entry, dive, exit. On shore dives I take it off when I'm back at the vehicle and can put on my glasses. The mask fits and I don't find it uncomfortable to wear for an hour or more. I do get a lot of questions from others who don't know me but after explaining the situation it makes sense to them.
Makes sense in your case. I had the lazer surgery actually 2 weeks before taking OW in 2005. Cured my nearsightedness of course & no more glasses. But, can't see fine detail up real close like I could if I took off my glasses before. Also, I actually don't see quite as well underwater because I guess the refraction caused me to see close to 20-20 with my nearsightness before the lazer. That is weird. I only remove the mask on or close to shore for peripheral vision (and no water drops, etc.). My vision is the same , mask or not.

Back
Top Bottom