Quiz - Recreational Dive Planner™ - Pressure Group

What is a diver's pressure group after surfacing from a dive to 9 metres / 29 feet for 77 minutes?

• a. O

• b. P

• c. N

• d. M

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The question needs to be edited to statE “according to the PADI dive tables”. I have never done anything with PADI. I have used Navy tables, NAUI and SSI, I was wondering WTF did they get these letter designations from. When I used the SSI table, it came out as an F group.

Once I looked up the correct table, I got it right.
The quiz title and the first sentence of the post are quite explicit.

For giggles, I'm going to take out my Wheel and see the answer (I don't have PADI tables, the wife has a set somewhere).... it should be the same.

For giggles, I'm going to take out my Wheel and see the answer (I don't have PADI tables, the wife has a set somewhere).... it should be the same.
LOL! Both of mine do, sort of. Like everything with the Wheel....sort of. "Is the line touching or not?" But, having grown up with slide rules, and circular slide rules, the Wheel is like an old, someone untrustworthy, friend, with whom you cut a little slack.
I went through engineering grad school with a slide rule and an occasional Marchant calculator. When I graduated in 1967, my parents gave me the top-of-the-line calculator of the day, a Curta type 1. Still have it.

I went through engineering grad school with a slide rule and an occasional Marchant calculator. When I graduated in 1967, my parents gave me the top-of-the-line calculator of the day, a Curta type 1. Still have it.

I still have and use my HP34C calculator. It was one of early programable calculators which made my classmates jealous.

Padi uses different letters for their groups but the table works in the same way I'm used to. That or I and most others got it wrong!

LOL! Both of mine do, sort of. Like everything with the Wheel....sort of. "Is the line touching or not?" But, having grown up with slide rules, and circular slide rules, the Wheel is like an old, someone untrustworthy, friend, with whom you cut a little slack.

Good enough for government work. The nice thing about the Curta is you need no batteried.

Obviously.

because open water training in both PADI and SSI only teaches tables as a curiosity and not as a tool to be used.

Having recently completed PADI OW just last summer, I have to disagree. There were test questions to evaluate your knowledge of dive tables and we used them for open water dives.

I feel that any gaps are on the instructor and the student, not the training.

Additionally, there are some great YouTube videos showing some pretty advanced use of the tables that anyone can watch and learn. Which is exactly how I learned to use them effectively.

Example below.

I still have and use my HP34C calculator. It was one of early programable calculators which made my classmates jealous.
I was working at a NATO lab in Italy with the first HP-35 was introduced. The head of our IT department happened to be at HP headquarters in Switzerland at the time, and managed to borrow one for us to play with for a short time, then he had to send it back. We set up a list of those who wanted to play with it, and divided the number of people into the time we had. I got it for 6h....from midnight to 6am. At midnight there was a knock on my door and I was handed the calculator and the manual. I stayed up all night, playing, comparing things to log tables, etc. Before the sun began to rise, I took it to the next person on the list. What fun!

Obviously.

The SSI tables are also adjusted from the navy pressure groups to make them slightly more conservative. But I think the real answer in this case is jcp2 says because open water training in both PADI and SSI only teaches tables as a curiosity and not as a tool to be used. I did my OW training with PADI and we were given a computer supplement and told to ignore the section in the training manual on the RDP (in 2013). I'm now an SSI DM and we do actually briefly teach the tables and how to use them in OW classes, but also suggest that every student purchase their own computer and use that. I personally use the tables for very limited planning ("If I go to 105 feet to see that wheelhouse, how long will I have? Oh, 15 minutes, ok.") but once in the water, I rely on the computer.
I was certified by LA Country in 1970 and used USN tables. I was recertified with my son in 1997 and used PADI tables. I was nitrox certified in 2002 and used PADI tables. I will never forget how to use tables :). I have been using a dive computer since 2002, and have not used tables since. Personally, I think there is still value in knowing how tables work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom