Quiz - Physics - Gauge Pressure

What is the gauge pressure at 16 metres/53 feet of fresh water?

• a 2.55 ATM/37.59 psi

Votes: 12 12.4%
  • b. 2.6 ATM/38.28 psi

Votes: 13 13.4%
  • c. 1.55 ATM/22.89 psi

Votes: 58 59.8%
  • d. 1.6 ATM/23.58 psi

Votes: 14 14.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please don't confuse "gauge pressure" with the readings on a pressure gauge. The term "gauge pressure" assumes accuracy of an instrument and is related to what a theoretically perfect instrument would read given a certain pressure. To say anymore would be a spoiler.

What water type is your computer set for, fresh, salt, or EN13319?
:) I think you picked up on my trick question-but your answer to my question is incorrect. FWIW, my computer is, as are most computers and depth gauges, set to salt water. Most computers and depth gauges are themselves pressure gauges that read in feet or meters of saltwater. Hence the term "typical."

:) I think you picked up on my trick question-but your answer to my question is incorrect. FWIW, my computer is, as are most computers and depth gauges, set to salt water. Most computers and depth gauges are themselves pressure gauges that read in feet or meters of saltwater. Hence the term "typical."
My computer will read 53 feet as I would set it for freshwater. Your computer, set to saltwater, will read about 51.4 ft:)

My computer will read 53 feet as I would set it for freshwater. Your computer, set to saltwater, will read about 51.4 ft:)
Ding, ding, ding!

I like this question. Tests both gauge pressure vs absolute pressure and msw vs mfw. Agree with @Steve_C that no complex Math is required if one knows that sw is heavier than fw.

I answered c as "Gauge pressure is the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is positive for pressures above atmospheric pressure, and negative for pressures below it."

I answered c as "Gauge pressure is the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. Gauge pressure is positive for pressures above atmospheric pressure, and negative for pressures below it."
What does that definition have to do with (c)?

Back
Top Bottom