Quiz - Equipment - NDL

Divers should avoid diving to the no decompression limits because _____ may not be precise - even a

• a. dive computers

• b. depth gauges

• c. timing devices

• d. all the above are correct

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've enjoyed these questions. Have come to the conclusion that a lot of educated people disagree, and quite a few don't like the way some of them are worded. At first, I thought I was in a tiny minority on that.

I need to send in my two Shearwaters in to be serviced/recalibrated, as they report depths as different as 3 feet at times. I think that's a bit too much of a difference.

All of the above. No tool is precise, with regards to dcs, because decompression knowledge itself is not precise.

I need to send in my two Shearwaters in to be serviced/recalibrated, as they report depths as different as 3 feet at times. I think that's a bit too much of a difference.

Are you sure they are both set to the same salinity? I forgot to switch one of mine back to freshwater one time, so I accidentally did a dive with one on freshwater and one on saltwater. Like yours, they disagreed with each other by a couple feet.

Are you sure they are both set to the same salinity? I forgot to switch one of mine back to freshwater one time, so I accidentally did a dive with one on freshwater and one on saltwater. Like yours, they disagreed with each other by a couple feet.
Yes, I am sure. I spoke to their product support in my area. Just have to send it in.

Reactions: CWC
I chose A. Few divers a using a watch, a depth gauge and a computer. Modern time pieces are insanely accurate, most depth gauges are pretty accurate (within a meter). Where you do get variation is the algorithm that each computer uses and how much you can push the envelope.

The correct answer was actually missing was variations in human physiology. Physical condition at the time of the dive and how that individual will respond to the environment are far more likely to affect the NDL for a given diver on a given dive. “Undeserved hits” can occur because the diver didn’t match the model his computer was running. In all likelihood the computer was behaving within spec, but the diver was was not, dehydrated, cold, sick, poor circulation.

NDL refers to "statistically non-mandatory" decompression stops. Statistics if fun, though. It averages.

NDL = almost nobody but you get bent

Excessive body fat, lack of hydration (water loss due to dry breathing air, hot surface temperature, alcohol), carrying heavy gear after the dive (surface deco?), many dives per day over several days (residual nitrogen), cold water, hot shower after diving... There are many ways to strike that N and that L from NDL.

Back
Top Bottom