Quiz - Equipment - Dropped Scuba Tank

It's recommended that a scuba tank that has fallen from a moving vehicle or been dropped from a sign

• a. visually inspected

• b. emptied and refilled with fresh air

• c. hydrostatic/pressure tested

• d. repainted

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dropped a 19 cuft pony and had to replace the DIN valve that went out of round. Visual inspection of the valve did not catch it, but (not) screwing in a DIN reg quickly did! A hydro would have missed it too....

I guess in that case, your biggest danger was to miss a dive ?

That's a little more intense than falling off a picnic table or truck tailgate. So did any of them fail?
No, none failed the hydro but ... a few failed the subsequent VIP because of hairline cracks. My shop always did a VIP after the tanks were returned from the hydro test.

Really? Dropped from a significant height, 3 ft, 4 ft, 5 ft? Please supply supportive citation.
In my VIP class they said significant but did not specify the height. A 30 cm drop from an automobile trunk to the grass with the tank striking on the side might not be significant but a 30 cm drop from a rack onto concrete with the tank valve striking the concrete first is probably significant.

I got my SDI/TDI Visual Inspection Procedures book out and little was discussed about dropping but much was discussed about heat. If a shiny tank is encountered, the inspector must determine if the tank was after market painted at a paint shop with a baked on finish.

I was very careful when I did the VIPs because I also did the filling and I had seen the photographs of the eviscerated tank fillers after a cylinder explosion.

A visual is required as part of the hydro, and is actually supposed to happen prior to pressure testing the vessel.

What I am saying (as have others) is there isn't necessarily a compelling reason to do a hydro....

I guess in that case, your biggest danger was to miss a dive ?
No dive missed. Dropped and checked prior to a trip. Plenty of time to get a new valve and scrap the old one.
If I had been on a dive trip, however, yes, that dive would have been missed or done without a pony.

I'm not agreeing with the correct answer.

Visual to then decide the need for further assessment.
A visual is required as part of the hydro, and is actually supposed to happen prior to pressure testing the vessel.

What I am saying (as have others) is there isn't necessarily a compelling reason to do a hydro....
Agreed. The visual comes first, and then you decide if you need a hydro. But in the Basic Scuba PADI world, you don't do your own visuals, so defaulting to a hydro "just in case" is indeed the safest -- but not the quickest or cheapest -- strategy.

I know my shop would likely say "lets take a look" [visual] before deciding to ship it out to have a [costly] hydro done. They might not even charge for it if they didn't re-sticker it.

Agreed. The visual comes first, and then you decide if you need a hydro. But in the Basic Scuba PADI world, you don't do your own visuals, so defaulting to a hydro "just in case" is indeed the safest -- but not the quickest or cheapest -- strategy.
The “safest” would be scrap and replace I would think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom