Quiz - Equipment - Dropped Scuba Tank

It's recommended that a scuba tank that has fallen from a moving vehicle or been dropped from a sign

• a. visually inspected

• b. emptied and refilled with fresh air

• c. hydrostatic/pressure tested

• d. repainted

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, none failed the hydro but ... a few failed the subsequent VIP because of hairline cracks. My shop always did a VIP after the tanks were returned from the hydro test.

Tanks with hairline cracks passed hydro? That's very hard to believe. How can a tank with a crack maintain 5/3 pressure?

At the shop where I work, prior to my time, we had a tank that passed a VE test and failed catastrophically (SLC) during hydro.

I know my shop would likely say "lets take a look" [visual] before deciding to ship it out to have a [costly] hydro done. They might not even charge for it if they didn't re-sticker it.
I like this. Can't hurt to do both.

I was wondering the same, seems pretty cut and dry at this point, but given all the others i foresee 13 pages of debate.

Perhaps, arguing the necessity of valve testing and insufficient regulation of the SCUBA industry?
No 23 pages, pay attention Bond k

Tanks with hairline cracks passed hydro? That's very hard to believe. How can a tank with a crack maintain 5/3 pressure?

At the shop where I work, prior to my time, we had a tank that passed a VE test and failed catastrophically (SLC) during hydro.
You'd be surprised, tanks can pass hydro but have defects which fail VIP.

In the old 6351 aluminum tanks it wasn't that rare to have a tank pass VIP, go to hydro & pass, then fail VIP - for a crack.

Back
Top Bottom