Quiet in here...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many times I just want to post "Screw it, let's go diving" here in the DIR forum...
I'm all for debating things and looking at it from a different point of view, but sometimes I think people get a bit uptight about the small stuff. :)

Since we're being facetious today...

Rick Inman:
Should I route my light cord under or over?
That depends, if it's a Halcyon you route it over, if it's a Salvo you route it under.

Rick Inman:
Should I stow my stage reg with one or two bands after I use it?
Neither, why stow your regs properly, when you could just leave it draped around your neck!

Rick Inman:
Are zip ties allowed on anything?
Yes, if your buddy is swimming with his hands, you're allowed to zip tie them together.

Rick Inman:
Should I go to my backup reg when shutting off the left post or not?
Yes, in the event of a real left post failure its always recommended to switch to your back up prior to shutting it down, that way you get extra practice knowing what its like to breathe down a reg. Might as well do it how you practice it!

Laptops or Palm Pilots with Deco Planner/D-plan/VPM/GAP etc. are impractical when you're bobbing around on the water's surface or waiting in a wet skiff/tender boat. All you need is Ratio Deco, a pencil and Wet Notes to re-plan your Profile:

21/35 mix, 1:1 Ratio with 50% Nitrox for Deco, Twin 11L Tanks with 5.5L Deco Bottle.

Synopsis: Original Plan was for 15min at 45 meters, but decided to reduce bottom time after two failed attempts to find the Fighter Jet.

1st Attempt:
45m for 5min, Team Leader cannot locate wreck and calls abort.
Minimum Deco Protcol:
Ascend to 36m at 10m/min.
33m 10sec pause
30m 10sec
27m 10sec
24m 1min. stop
21m 1min
18m 1min
15m 1min
12m 1min
9m 1min
6m 1min
ascend to surface at 2m/min

Surface Interval 15min.

2nd Attempt:
45m for 5min, call abort same as before.
Minimum Deco Profile as above but double required time at all stops.

Surface Interval 2.5hrs

3rd Attempt:
(F4 Phantom Jet found; on-the-fly elected to use conservative 2:1 Ratio Schedule):
45m 10min
ascend to 36m at 10m/min
33m 1min stop
30m 1min stop
27m 1min
24m 1min
21m 3min 50% Nitrox switch
18m 3min
15m 2min
12m 2min
9m 3min
6m 7min.
ascend to surface at 1 to 2m/min (3-6 min travel time).

Kevrumbo:
Laptops or Palm Pilots with Deco Planner/D-plan/VPM/GAP etc. are impractical when you're bobbing around on the water's surface or waiting in a wet skiff/tender boat. All you need is Ratio Deco, a pencil and Wet Notes to re-plan your Profile:

Alright Kev, those are fightin' words! :D
Next, you're gonna' say why even own a decompression program at all, when ratio deco is good to 600'!

FishTaco:
Alright Kev, those are fightin' words! :D
Next, you're gonna' say why even own a decompression program at all, when ratio deco is good to 600'!

I don't know Chris, Kev might be on to something here.
I mean why drag a computer into this or tissue models or anything scientific at all.
Tic Tac Toe is easy enough a chicken can play it, right?

tic_tac_toe_chicken.gif

Milo

I think DIR got all the agruing out of its collective system after that long email string about how Salvo is the devil.

So guys, should I buy a Salvo light?:D

SkullDeformity:
I think DIR got all the agruing out of its collective system after that long email string about how Salvo is the devil.

That "long email string" on Quest was remarkably civil, I thought. I think some of the participants had already gotten it out of their systems on TDS a while back...

SkullDeformity:
So guys, should I buy a Salvo light?:D

I think AG's X-Light would make a good alternative. :)

Vie:
I think AG's X-Light would make a good alternative. :)

I already bought his H light on ebay, works great.... :D
OH, you meant his new lights. Are they out yet?

ScubaMilo:
I don't know Chris, Kev might be on to something here.
I mean why drag a computer into this or tissue models or anything scientific at all.
Tic Tac Toe is easy enough a chicken can play it, right?

Milo
Here . . .I used a scientific calculator to initially plan the gas management out on this dive --is that legit enough:wink: ?
Sakura Maru, Japanese Cargo Freighter roughly 30 meters long, at a depth of 54 meters.

54 meters planned depth for 18 minutes.
2:1 Ratio minus 60 meter setpoint adjustment: 36 minus 10 equals 26 minutes Deco.
Twin 11L Backgas Tanks of 18/45 mix;
Two 5.5L Deco Bottles of 50% Nitrox and O2.

MGR from 54m -->21m Deco Stop: 1240L
Total Backgas: 200bar times 22L/bar equals 4400L
Usable BG after MGR: 4400 minus 1240 equals 3160L

Nominal SCR: 21.1 L/min*ata
DCR at 54m: (6.4 ata)(21.1L/min*ata)= 135L/min.
Therefore Max Time @ 54m: 3160L/135L per minute = 23 minutes.
Expected SPG Consumption rate: 135L/min divided by 22L/bar = 6.1bar/min at 54m.

Deco Profile:
54m 18min Bottom Time
54m-->40m ascend 10m/min
39m 10sec pause
36m 10sec
33m 10sec
30m 10sec
27m 2min stop
24m 2min
21m 4min. 50% Nitrox switch
18m 4min
15m 2min
12m 2min
9m 2min (with 1min Backgas Break)
6m 10min 100% Oxygen switch
6m-->surface: ascend 1 to 2m/min. (3min minimum travel time).

Water Temperature: 25deg C below 27m; 28deg C above to surface.
Visibility: 10 meters with murky to fair clarity; ambient light starts fading at 30m.

Dive Ops/Logistics/Gas: Boardwalk Dive Center, 664 Waterfront Road, Subic Bay Freeport Zone. Dive Buddy/Guide: Jason Obien -Staff Divemaster
See? -Ratio Deco also works in the Metric System too:rofl3: !

Jasonmh:
OH, you meant his new lights. Are they out yet?

As far as I know, no. I've only seen glimpses of silver light canisters in X-Scooter video clips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom