Quiesence/Key Largo Dive Report from March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoScratchers

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I dove with Quiesence a couple of weeks ago at the recommendation of a few people here and wanted to report back. Everyone at the shop was great: organized, friendly, and knowledgeable. I was looking for small groups and they totally delivered. There were a total of five of us both days I dove, and because I was on my own, I just tagged along with one of the couples each day, which was lovely and relaxing. Captain Don took us to some great sites, at least one of which no other dive shops go to, and it was totally worth it. I saw the biggest barracuda I've ever seen, plus a school of smaller barracuda, some turtles, a big ol' ray, a free-swimming octopus (in the middle of the day), some gorgeous elk horn coral stands, more schools of fish than I anticipated, a couple of large green morays, some lion fish (unfortunately), and generally a much healthier dive environment than I was led to believe I'd find. This was my first time diving in Florida and I was very pleasantly surprised. Although the 73-degree water is about 10 degrees colder than I like it (spoiled warm water diver), I packed on the neoprene and pounds and was fine. I'd never been diving without a dive master, so was a little nervous about finding my way back to the boat, but Captain Don was super thorough with his understanding of and ability to describe the dive site, so in all four cases, it was a snap to navigate on my own safely. Thanks, Quiesence!

And here are a few photos from the dives.
IMG_1912.jpgIMG_2004.jpgIMG_2009.jpgIMG_1879.jpgIMG_1851.jpgIMG_2029.jpg

We have converted another! BWAHAHAHA!!! :D

Awesome to hear you had a great time. Those special sites are the absolute BEST! They are one of the reasons QDS consistantly gets my business. Having a boat to yourself, for no extra money is great, isn't it? They do have great Captains, and the hardest working ones in the Keys.

Edit: Killer Nudibranch!!

The photo with the 'school' of midnight parrotfish is something special. I've seen a number of these fish before, but never in a group like that.

Are the sites you're hitting named or unnamed sites? If unnamed, I wonder whether you could get the GPS coordinates, so as to know just where you dove.

Glad you had a great time.

Richard.

In my experience, QDS runs about 50/50 mix to know (mooring ball-ed) sites, and unknown sites where they have to anchor in the sand. QDS will not give you the coordinates for these sites, and specifically requests that you do not record or release them.

I looked at their website before we went down to Key Largo but could not find their rates. What do the charge?

BK

I think it's 75 using their tanks. I know it's $69 dollars w/o tax if you bring your own tanks. They also have some discounts if you do several trips or if you're military.

Shoot them an email, and tell them the dates and times you wanted to dive. They're great about getting back to you.

I've gotten hooked on the West Palm/Jupiter dive scene to the point where I do the bulk of my fun diving up there, but I have Quiescence in my books for any diving I want to do in Key Largo. I tried diving with them back in November, but you all know what lovely weather we had then. They were very straightforward about the conditions and I'd go back to them again.

That sounds to be about the same as the rest of the dive boats.

That sounds to be about the same as the rest of the dive boats.
It's close. Most boats charge $85, I think, and that includes tanks. But you can't beat their service and 6-pac boats.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom