Quick question re shortening halcyon harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
I think what was meant by the rounding was to cut the corners off of the end of the webbing (Makes the end kinda pointy like).

Makes it easier to weave the webbing through belt buckles and such.

I've cut them by rounding corners, for the reason you stated, and square. (the end of the webbing) For whatever reason, it always seems to start fraying (not the next day, but eventually) when I round them. Then you have to cut it shorter again. The ones I've cut square haven't frayed at all (years). And the buckle is wide enough for the webbing anyway. Or maybe I'm just not a good rounder. ?:D

OK, here's a question I have. Somewhere, I saw an old article on DIR setup. In the article, it said that the waist strap is extra long so that the buckle ends up all of the way around on your right side holding on the can light. I saw an old-time DIR person have their's in a similar fashion on a recent dive trip, but forgot to ask about it.

Is this something that was and has just been overtaken by the extra buckle slid on the right side to hold the can light and the normal buckle in front? Is this still truly DIR and everyone has just said "to hell with it"?

Just curious. If the case is that the buckle slides all of the way around, then extra webbing would be needed anyway so that the extra "flap" from the right-side webbing being fed through the buckle could be put through the crotch strap loop.

As I said, just curious. I don't have enough webbing to do it on my current rig and don't plan on changing. Just wondering why it may have been that way and now is not...

Chris

cmalinowski:
OK, here's a question I have. Somewhere, I saw an old article on DIR setup. In the article, it said that the waist strap is extra long so that the buckle ends up all of the way around on your right side holding on the can light. I saw an old-time DIR person have their's in a similar fashion on a recent dive trip, but forgot to ask about it.

Is this something that was and has just been overtaken by the extra buckle slid on the right side to hold the can light and the normal buckle in front? Is this still truly DIR and everyone has just said "to hell with it"?

In the old days, "the light is worn to the right side on the waist belt, and is held on either by the same buckle that fastens the waist belt, or by a second buckle slipped on." This statement is from Doing It Right Gear Configuration by George Irvine:

http://www.wkpp.org/articles/Gear/newgeorge.html

I read somewhere (unfortunately cannot remember where) that the extra buckle was originally intended for ocean/open water dives only (so the battery canister does not fall off the belt when the rig needed to be removed whilst the diver is still in the water) and one would use only one buckle for cave dives...

Hobby stores sell hot knives which work really well for cutting webbing. They are basically soldering irons with exacto blades. They seal while they cut. Not much more expensive than a putty knife and it's self heating. They also come in handy for cutting foam.

Xanthro:
Hobby stores sell hot knives which work really well for cutting webbing. They are basically soldering irons with exacto blades. They seal while they cut. Not much more expensive than a putty knife and it's self heating. They also come in handy for cutting foam.

Nice tip!

Stephen Ash:
Nice tip!

We use something similar at the shop but it is sorta stationary and you lay the webbing across it to make the cut.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom