Quick question on DIN conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I remember is this: There is indeed another groove, and the said o-ring fits in it, but once you put it there there is nothing the o-ring would seal against hence it will be just siting there doing nothing.
See the schematic below:
View attachment 686900

O-ring #12 is used to retain the knob (part #11) and o-ring #14 is used to seal the whole DIN assembly to the body of the first stage. No other o-ring is shown.
If I remember correctly, if you place that extra o-ring to the grove it will sit somewhere along the (plastic) saddle (#13) doing nothing much as the saddle and the knob are exposed to water from both sides anyway.
This is how it looked to me. There is indeed a groove in part 10. When I removed the yoke assembly there was no O ring in that groove so I figured no O ring in the DIN part. Since I had an "extra" O ring I put it in the groove and when I went to thread part 10 into the regulator body the O ring started to extrude so I figured nothing goes there??
When you buy the DIN kit the the parts (7-11) that make up the DIN assembly it came preassembled with the O ring wheel retainer in place.
If you look at the schematic it has <30> where the groove is and [266] those are the torque setting numbers....I don't see any O ring there??
CUDIN.jpg

This is how it looked to me. There is indeed a groove in part 10. When I removed the yoke assembly there was no O ring in that groove so I figured no O ring in the DIN part. Since I had an "extra" O ring I put it in the groove and when I went to thread part 10 into the regulator body the O ring started to extrude so I figured nothing goes there??
When you buy the DIN kit the the parts (7-11) that make up the DIN assembly it came preassembled with the O ring wheel retainer in place.
If you look at the schematic it has <30> where the groove is and [266] those are the torque setting numbers....I don't see any O ring there??View attachment 686913
Correct. No second O ring belongs in this assembly. You wind up with a second O ring because you bought two separate items, each with an identical O ring: the DIN kit and the regulator itself. These were two separate and distinct items. Trying to somehow fit the extra ring is not a good idea. I started to switch from DIN to yoke and back again back in the 90s, with my SP Mk 5. I still use it, with its rare SP Mk5 DIN fitting. I've used the DIN configuration here in the States, and the yoke configuration in the Caribbean where rental tanks almost always have yoke valves. I've been doing this for almost 30 years. Don't complicate a simple process. SP is not happy with self-service things like yoke removal. The yoke assembly is designed to foil any such attempts, consequently requiring specialized tools.

You have got the Scubapro Universal DIN conversion kit. "universal" means that this kit works both on regs which seal on the top O-ring (as your) and regs which seal on the side "spare" O-ring (as my old MK5).
In a MK5 there is not a flat surface for the top O-ring to seal against.
Here you see one of my MK5 after installing the modern SP universal DIN Conversion kit (which requires this "spare" O-ring to be installed, of course):
20200304-142833.jpg

For being more precise: here you see exactly where this "spare" O-ring has to be placed for sealing on the MK5:
20200304-142140.jpg

As you see it is NOT in the groove, but at the end of the screw, before the shoulder of the groove.
Another trick: for ensuring that this O-ring works on the mated conical surface where it is designed to work, you need to insert a 2-mm thick (bronze or brass) washer inside the reg:

20200304-141038.jpg

Only with the washer in place you can safely tighten the DIN adapter to the prescribed torque (30 Nm).

You have got the Scubapro Universal DIN conversion kit. "universal" means that this kit works both on regs which seal on the top O-ring (as your) and regs which seal on the side "spare" O-ring (as my old MK5).
In a MK5 there is not a flat surface for the top O-ring to seal against.
Here you see one of my MK5 after installing the modern SP universal DIN Conversion kit (which requires this "spare" O-ring to be installed, of course):
20200304-142833.jpg

For being more precise: here you see exactly where this "spare" O-ring has to be placed for sealing on the MK5:
20200304-142140.jpg

As you see it is NOT in the groove, but at the end of the screw, before the shoulder of the groove.
Another trick: for ensuring that this O-ring works on the mated conical surface where it is designed to work, you need to insert a 2-mm thick (bronze or brass) washer inside the reg:

20200304-141038.jpg

Only with the washer in place you can safely tighten the DIN adapter to the prescribed torque (30 Nm).
Hi Angelo. Not that many of us Mk V users left. My Mk 5 does not use the 'universal' Din fitting. It takes the Din fitting designed by SP exclusively for Mk 5 regulators, so no washer needed. This discussion was focused on Mk 19 conversions, so mentioning the washer needed for M5s may be confusing. The issue was what to do with the extra O ring, since the Mk 19 regulator alrady has one, and the universal SP Din kit comes with its own identical O ring.

Hi Angelo. Not that many of us Mk V users left. My Mk 5 does not use the 'universal' Din fitting. It takes the Din fitting designed by SP exclusively for Mk 5 regulators, so no washer needed. This discussion was focused on Mk 19 conversions, so mentioning the washer needed for M5s may be confusing. The issue was what to do with the extra O ring, since the Mk 19 regulator alrady has one, and the universal SP Din kit comes with its own identical O ring.
Well, other regs requiring to use the "extra" O-ring, apart the MK5, which I agree is quite obsolete, are the MK2, MK3 and MK200.
The MK2 is still in production, and widely used for stage or deco tanks, due to its unsurpassed reliability.
If this kit is mounted on a MK2, then you need to use this "extra" O-ring for sealing.
My point was not specifically related to the MK5, but to the fact that the kit is "universal"; hence Scubapro packs two O-rings in the kit, for ensuring it can be used substantially on all their vintage and current regs.

Yes and with all the brilliant detailed information Twin valve Angelo has provided
my head has become so heavy, it is leaning right almost resting on my shoulder!

Hey op why have you splooshed so much muck attracting lube around

When you do not know your stuff, don't touch your stuff
the other experts on this thread may have touched it first

Well, other regs requiring to use the "extra" O-ring, apart the MK5, which I agree is quite obsolete, are the MK2, MK3 and MK200.
The MK2 is still in production, and widely used for stage or deco tanks, due to its unsurpassed reliability.
If this kit is mounted on a MK2, then you need to use this "extra" O-ring for sealing.
My point was not specifically related to the MK5, but to the fact that the kit is "universal"; hence Scubapro packs two O-rings in the kit, for ensuring it can be used substantially on all their vintage and current regs.
I understand your point, but the point I was making is that both O rings packaged with the Din kit are superfluous if you use the O ring that comes as part of the Mk 19 when you install the Din fitting ON A MK 19. Since there are two identical O rings, one already in the Mk19 and one with the Din kit, one ring might be regarded as 'extra', though I'll withdraw the word if it troubles you and use superfluous instead. I still use my obsolete Mk 5 on occasion. It holds IP better than a Mk10 and provides all the air this shockingly old man can use. I like the way it looks, as well. Style is important.

Yes and with all the brilliant detailed information Twin valve Angelo has provided
my head has become so heavy, it is leaning right almost resting on my shoulder!

Hey op why have you splooshed so much muck attracting lube around

When you do not know your stuff, don't touch your stuff
the other experts on this thread may have touched it first
Angelo answered the question on the separate O ring..he is correct it is universal DIN kit.
The instructions said to lubricate the O ring and the threads. The excess was wiped off prior to install...and it was a really tiny amount although the picture looks like it was mucked up!

I understand your point, but the point I was making is that both O rings packaged with the Din kit are superfluous if you use the O ring that comes as part of the Mk 19 when you install the Din fitting ON A MK 19. Since there are two identical O rings, one already in the Mk19 and one with the Din kit, one ring might be regarded as 'extra', though I'll withdraw the word if it troubles you and use superfluous instead. I still use my obsolete Mk 5 on occasion. It holds IP better than a Mk10 and provides all the air this shockingly old man can use. I like the way it looks, as well. Style is important.
Actually the universal DIN kit comes with the pre installed wheel retainer O ring and a loose O ring part 01050347 that seals against the regulator body which is small and the loose "extra" O ring that apparently works the way Angelo said. There is also the DIN O ring for the valve preinstalled. It was the loose "extra" O ring that was causing the confusion for me. I didn't use any original yoke O rings

What I remember is this: There is indeed another groove, and the said o-ring fits in it, but once you put it there there is nothing the o-ring would seal against hence it will be just siting there doing nothing.
See the schematic below:
View attachment 686900
Stepfen you are likely
O-ring #12 is used to retain the knob (part #11) and o-ring #14 is used to seal the whole DIN assembly to the body of the first stage. No other o-ring is shown.
If I remember correctly, if you place that extra o-ring to the grove it will sit somewhere along the (plastic) saddle (#13) doing nothing much as the saddle and the knob are exposed to water from both sides anyway.
Stepfen you are likely correct. One other thing I can add is this oring is used for sealing the high pressure on regulators where piston is coaxial with the DIN (mk2) #14 is not used on Mk2. So that oring is probably provided for that case. IIRC it was also installed on my Mk25s. But I do not think I have mk25 disassembled

Back
Top Bottom