Quick Question, (hopefully a quick answer)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zero333

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Mexico tomorrow on a divetrip (cancun yeey)

So real quick, Dive Knife in my check bag,, will it fly or do i need some like special "ok" from someone..

thanks, I just do not want to get stuck explaining myself to the guards at Newark and then end up missing my flight.

thanks

Pete

zero333:
I am going to Mexico tomorrow on a divetrip (cancun yeey)

So real quick, Dive Knife in my check bag,, will it fly or do i need some like special "ok" from someone..

thanks, I just do not want to get stuck explaining myself to the guards at Newark and then end up missing my flight.

thanks

Pete

Great question! Wish I had an answer for ya'. I would imagine carry on storage would be a bad idea, but if it was stowed with checked baggage things might go a little smoother.
Personally, with heightened security and all, I think I'd leave it at home and have the dive op hook me up when I arrived.
Enjoy your trip....

smay28:
Great question! Wish I had an answer for ya'. I would imagine carry on storage would be a bad idea, but if it was stowed with checked baggage things might go a little smoother.
Personally, with heightened security and all, I think I'd leave it at home and have the dive op hook me up when I arrived.
Enjoy your trip....

Thanks for the quick reply and I think that is what I am going to do, I will be diving with Dive masters and stuff so i doubt I will really need it, but it would be nice to have with me...

thanks again

Not a problem to take a dive knife in your checked baggage. I haven't had a problem for the last three years traveling to Mexico. Now a machete,....

Quick answer:

Leave the knife at home,

national park laws prohibit divers from carrying knives or wearing gloves in Cancun and Cozumel.

cancun mark:
Quick answer:

Leave the knife at home,

national park laws prohibit divers from carrying knives or wearing gloves in Cancun and Cozumel.

That's interesting. No one in Cozumel or Cancun has ever made a fuss over a small BC knife but I have seen a fuss over gloves. I see my knife as a safety item like a sausage which I don't leave home without. Never know when you might have to cut a line.

Get a pair of bandage scissors and it's no longer an issue.

Then home it will stay being against national park rules and all.

Not meaning to threadjack my own post, but why would gloves be against policy/rules,, makes no sence to me, seems like gloves just make diving safer,,,

thanks for all the replys though

You are right, but there are no entanglement hazards such as line, because there is no fishing allowed. If you are really worried about it, I suggest you store it in the pocket, but the larger operators will tell you not to take it. It is after all, the LAW.

The National parks authority are just trying to stop the unwarranted slaughter of critters by dive weapon weilding maniacs.

cancun mark:
You are right, but there are no entanglement hazards such as line, because there is no fishing allowed. If you are really worried about it, I suggest you store it in the pocket, but the larger operators will tell you not to take it. It is after all, the LAW.

The National parks authority are just trying to stop the unwarranted slaughter of critters by dive weapon weilding maniacs.

Come on how many diver tourists are really there to slaughter the very critters they go to see. They may have poor bouyancy skills and kill some coral but in ten years of diving in Mexico I have never seen a knife come out to kill anything.

I'd say and this certainly is the case in the Galapagos marine park that the biggest threat to the parks are the locals who poach all the time within the park boundaries.

The real threat to the reefs which support the big stuff you see while diving is not knives and gloves, but the stuff you can't see coming from the hotels and local untreated sewage.
Have a look at the depths and percentage coverage of the reef by the 'overgrowing mat tunicate' (Trididemnum solidum) and you will see the problems facing the Park.

Sorry for the rant but the deeper parts of Palancar this year have about a 5% coverage of this stuff. Up in the shallows some areas now are 30% covered with the mat.

Knives and gloves are the least of the park's worries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom