Quick question from a newb about air integrated computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkE79

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
If you have an air integrated wrist mount dive computer with compass, can you eliminate the console from your rig, or does safety necessitate that you have at least a console SPG and depth gauge as a backup?

I know others will say air integrated computers (and computers in general) are unsafe because they have batteries, but I've been diving an air integrated, digital compass wrist mount dive computer for years and have never once had an issue. If you check your depth and air regularly, even if it dies you should be able to surface safely, use tables and keep diving.

Opinions vary. Mine is: you can, but I wouldn't recommend it for aggressive diving.

All comes down to a matter or redundancy which is a personal issue, and what type of diving you are doing. Most computers or the manual for them give you an idea on the battery life (in hours normally) you would expect them to work for. From my experience this is normally pretty accurate.

Because of the nature of this thread I'll also so if you do have issues its time to end the dive and use the depth gauge on your buddies gear to ascend. Also the nature of the dive (open water vs shore dive) will alter your solution to the problem.

For average, no-D diving I'd have no problem using just the AI computer. But once I'm doing planned deco ... the whole picture changes, I doubt if I'd use it at all then.

It depends on your level of comfort and what type of diving you will be doing. I started a thread similar to this asking if anyone with AI computer actually had the computer malfunction during a dive. Most malfunctions were battery related, and most thought they were safe enough to use without SPG back up. Mostly personal preference and comfort level for safety, and opinions here on SB vary greatly!:popcorn:

For standard dives no deeper 60' and withing NDC limits it should be fine without an SPG back up. You would be ending your dive anyways for any equipment failure, not just limited to computers.

If you are travelling halfway round the world you might think about adding or at least packing either spare computer and SPG if there is an equipment failure early in your trip. It would really suck if you couldn't dive on your dream trip to the Phillipines (or any other exotic locale) because you can't find batteries and your computer doesn't work. Oceanic even markets one called BUDS (back up delivery system) which is basically a dive computer with clip to attach to your BC just in case your primary gives out.

If you are deep diving then having SPG back up not a bad idea.

OP --IMO you need to simply ask yourself this question. "can I safely ascend to the surfacewith no outside assistance if my computer dies?" That will pretty much answer your question in post 1

It really boils down to a matter of preference and comfort. I purchased my first AI wrist computer back when the Aeris 750GT was the new and hot thing to have, and immediately ditched my console. The goal was streamlining my regulator set up. I also had an alternate air/inflater at the time.

For the first couple years, until these items became fairly commonplace I used to love the funny looks from people when I'd pull my reg out of my bag on a dive boat.

I've had an air-integrated wrist-mount unit for several years and have no problems. However, I have noticed that the reaction time between the transmissions is more than one breath. Translated, watch your gage closely and don't wait for the 300 lb marker to signal end of dive.

You already have the SPG and depth gauge. Why not leave them on and clip them off, if done correctly they will never be in your way, but will still be there IF you ever need them. 99% of the time they are unnecessary. I would hate to blow off even one dive after driving a minimum of 2 hrs to get to the nearest decent dive site (for me), much less a flight to an exotic locale.

Having the backup also lets you check the accuracy of the equipment, either analog or digital equipment could be off, but at least you'll know if there's an issue. Before I changed out my last transmitter it was reading 200-300psi lower than my correct analog gauge. I knew this only because of my backup equipment. It didn't bother me, as I could account for the difference and would infrequently double check my gas on the backup equipment, also it read conservativly so I wouldn't be out of gas thinking I still had a few hundred psi. Now I dive with a wireless air integrated with a console air integrated computer as a backup (analog gauges are in my dive bag just in case). Maybe overkill, but I'll never be left on shore/boat because of faulty gauges :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom