quick input suicide clips or bolt snap for bottom attachment of tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all in a name....suicide clips....boltsnaps only.

Bolt snaps are actually much easier to manage in gloves, and don't present as much of a entanglement hazard.

The biggest problem with suicide clips is not entanglement. Bolt snaps will hang up in line more often because they have more ledges and crannies.

The problem is that suicide clips can work themselves free. Granted that is not as likely to happen on a buttplate, but.

Although I do use suicide clips for the top clip, for speed of clipping in. For the bottom clip, there are few reasons to use suicide clip (actually none that I can think of) and reasons not to.

Bolt snaps as the bottom clip can foul with sand, so you can't open them, so I use boat snaps instead.

Dave

I'll muddy the waters and bring up Butterfly clips. I don't mind them, and even prefer them in caves where line entanglement is much less of an issue, but I probably would not take one in a non-artifical reefed wreck.

I'll second DA and also vote for Butterfly clips. What I like about them is they are easy to reattach to the bars after cylinder removal. Bolt snaps are not quite as easy.

Interestingly enough, the only time so far I've been entangled was with a bolt snap on my side mount tank.
I've used bolt snaps, butterfly clips, boat snaps and now use carabiners. I think for side mount the correct answer is "it depends".
You must be able to cut, clear, untangle or remove line from whatever you choose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom